What it’s like to volunteer with refugees

By emilycreighton

emilycr 3/2-3

I don't think the refugee crisis was a deciding factor in my decision to study abroad in Greece, but it definitely played a part. Once I settled on Greece, I knew I wanted to work with refugees in some capacity. In my ignorance I thought that meant traveling to an island close to Turkey, like Lesvos or Chios, and walking among a crowded polluted plastic tent town. Now, there are places like that and I plan on visiting for a weekend later in the semester. But, I also discovered that there are many places right in the heart of Athens that house refugees.

These places are, generally, in better condition than their plastic tent counterpart. Most are abandoned buildings that are equipped with kitchens and makeshift bedrooms. But these places still struggle with clean and hot water, clothing, and most predominately- space.

Experiencing this is quite a paradox. On one hand, the refugee crisis is utterly heartbreaking. To think about the hundreds of families separated, children drowned, and parents unable to work causes an overwhelming feeling of despair. But on the other hand, witnessing the incredible camaraderie from volunteers and other refugees was heartwarming.

I have spent time at two refugee centers located in Athens, Greece- City Plaza and Orange House.

emilycr 3/2-1

City Plaza is an abandoned-hotel-transformed-refugee-center. Over 200 families live there, each with chores to do. During my visit to City Plaza I didn't actually volunteer. I was there filming for a documentary I'm making which involved refugee centers. I followed around a girl in my program as she cleaned, cooked, and interacted with the children.

And the children!

emilycr 3/2-2

They are the sweetest human beings alive with a taste for curiosity. Almost every child that saw me using my camera immediately asked, "My turn?" Despite the expensiveness of the equipment in my hand, I couldn't say no. And it turns out they were very very good photographers.

The second place I visited, Orange House, I actually volunteered at. Two College Year in Athens alumni returned to Athens for a few weeks to create a school in one of the refugee centers for the children. After hearing about this, my roommate Sarah and I had to continue their legacy and get involved. Once they leave, it'll be up to Sarah and me to continue the makeshift school.

Once again, I found the children absolutely precious. Spending most of their day without structure or going outside, they become eager for change. And their English (and Greek) improves every day. Overall, it has been a privilege to help some of these people and hear their stories.