Over-Caffeinated and Under-budget.

dylan 2/24-1

Recently, I was told that Vietnam was the second largest coffee exporter in the world behind Brazil. I knew that coffee was definitely very popular in Vietnam, but I did not realize the significant culture around it. When I say that there is a cafe on every corner, I am not exaggerating. I know that you’re probably thinking, “Haha, okay Dylan. Whatever you say.” But, really, they are everywhere. My roommate told me that his and his friends version of a “fun” weekend night is to hang out the coffee shop until it closes.

For someone like me, this has become incredibly convenient. For those that don’t know, I used to be an employee at GW's finest java joint, “Gelbucks” and, as such, I am accustomed to consuming enough caffeine to stop a weak man’s heart. That being said, this lifestyle of getting coffee for 30,000 dong has been a dream. (For reference, 30,000 Vietnamese dong is roughly $1.30—and that’s a coffee from a nice establishment.)

So far, I have explored only a fraction of the coffee places in Ho Chi Minh and I am making it a personal goal to see as many as possible. A popular style is coffee with sweetened condensed milk, or cà phê sữa. Equally parts strong and delicious.

The following establishments are, so far, my favorite places to hunker down, connect to wifi, and enjoy my favorite beverage. Or, when I’m not in the mood for coffee, they also serve some of the best smoothies I’ve ever had.

1. Shelter — This is the first place I went to when I arrived in Vietnam and it’s still one of my favorites. It’s a very narrow, three story building with a lot of seating and it’s located on a quiet street which is really nice when I need to get work done.

2. Orla's — I go to this coffee shop the most because It’s located right outside my guest house. The coffee is delicious and the people already know my order!

3. The Workshop — The most expensive coffee I’ve had but hands down the best. They offer 8 different ways to brew your coffee and everyday the beans available change. Worth the expense once in awhile.

4. The Maker — The Maker is actually a really interesting concept. They operate both a cafe and boutique in which they sell clothes, jewelry, and art from local youth “makers”. It’s also in a really cool building that has effectively become a converted apartment building that houses tons of cafes!

5. Cafe Máy — A quiet little cafe down an alley by my guest house. Very quiet, a little pricey, but it’s definitely a place I’ll be going back to when I need to submit all my summer internship applications!

dylan 2/24-2

One really interesting thing that I've noticed is that they all follow that "Brooklyn-chic-exposed-brink-white-washed-walls" aesthetic that is typical only reserved for the most bougie of coffee locales in DC and New York. I'm definitely a fan.

dylan 2/24-3