Top 5 things to do in Prague as a Study Abroad Student

By hjensen95

I’ve now been in the Czech Republic for two weeks and I have gathered a few of my favorite spots here in Prague. One thing I love about Prague is the cafe culture. Czechs love their cafes because it’s a good place to meet friends, read or take a break from the day. My favorite coffee shop is literally called “Coffee Room,” and it’s only a couple blocks away from my apartment. It has “Brooklyn” vibes offering avocado toast and artisanal coffee drinks. The baristas started to recognize me and I know have incorporated it into my morning routine. The baristas been helping me practice my Czech while I order my coffee and they correct me if I make any mistakes.

Another one of my favorite spots in Prague is a building called “The Dancing House” (In Czech Tančící dům). The building is known for its unique architecture and many think the building looks like a man and a woman dancing together, hence the name, “the Dancing House.” The building was designed by a Czech/Croatian architect in 1992, and it was completed in 1996. Apparently, the building's design was very controversial when it was being built because it starkly contrasted the Baroque/Gothic architecture of the rest of the city.

One of my favorite things to do at night here is to go to a music bar called Lucerne in the Old Town of Prague. I love it because it exclusively plays 80’s/90’s music and broadcasts the music videos to the songs on a huge screen. Local Czechs, study abroad students and ex-pats of all ages go to Lucerne to enjoy a fun night of dancing and singing along to oldies. When Lucerne is not playing host to these “throwback” parties it serves as one of the major music halls here in Prague. International and local artists are found weekly at Lucerne and tickets are hard to come by.

Whenever I travel to a new country, I’m always fascinated by the grocery stores. I think it’s so interesting to compare the differences to what I’m used to. For example, the size, the size of grocery markets in Prague are much smaller than what we’re used to in the states. While I can find mostly everything I need here in Prague, there are some items I simply can’t find here. Another interesting element is comparing cost, what may be cheap in the states may be expensive here and vice versa.

One of the most beautiful places in Prague is a place I must go to nearly every day: my study center. It’s located at the top of a hill and has a gorgeous view of the city along the water. The study center itself is located within an old building of the church and each classroom is unique. One of my classes has a very large beautiful stain glass window – something you wouldn’t find in a classroom back at GW.

So those are my five favorite places in Prague… so far!