Student?? Guest??? TOURIST???? AMERICAN!!

By lrich522

It has now been two full weeks since I arrived in Dakar, and my self perception has evolved only in the sense that my “identity” abroad has become much more complex and difficult to reconcile.

In almost everything I do I wonder how Senegalese nationals perceive me and my actions, as well as how that may reflect on the United States. Given the current political climate in the US, it is extremely common to hear something along the lines of, “Hey, what does Donald Trump think he’s doing??” as soon as people learn I am American. Living with a Muslim family in a country where 95% of people practice Islam, it’s difficult to discuss Trump’s policies, specifically his executive order barring travel from 7 predominantly Muslim countries.

When I was eating lunch with a friend at the study center last week, a local student approached us and asked us why Americans have the right to travel wherever they want then ban people on the basis of religion. As an American fortunate enough to go abroad to a country where I have been accepted and welcomed with open arms, I had no answer for him. Since the executive order was put in place, I have noticed that I am asked about who I voted for much more frequently.

My homestay family has the news on everyday, and we had a very in depth conversation about their feelings on the ban. I have always known that America’s actions affect the world, but I don’t think I was as cognizant of just how influential these policies are beyond the affected countries, even if just in changing the course of day to day conversation.

I think these current events are inherently connected to my struggles understanding my place here. The last thing I want is to approach my presence in Senegal with an ill founded sense of superiority, or act in a way that much of the world associates with Americans (and now Trump). This has manifested itself as a sense of guilt; whether it is having the opportunity to have an internship in a country where the unemployment rate is astronomical, or simply taking up space on the bus during rush hour that could have better use from a local.

This weekend, we travelled with the program to an enclosed artists’ colony/resort, and as we made our way through the local towns in our big, gaudy, white vans/buses I started to wonder if I even belong abroad in Senegal. What right do I have to live off of a family in Dakar then retreat on the weekends to the beach?? I had a fun time this weekend, but in the back of my mind I wondered how much I am intruding in a place where I might not belong.

Considering I will be here for the next four months, I expect to grapple with this question frequently without settling into complacency or ignorance of my identity as an outsider, which begs attention and consideration.