Packing for Amman

By amberherrle

I leave for Jordan in just a few days - as excited as I am there are still so many errands I need to get done before I leave. I just returned from a 3 week road trip in South Africa so with jetlag + moving to another country this week is a little crazy. In an effort to help myself and help anyone studying abroad in the future - here's what I'm packing.

When I found out I was going to Jordan, I searched far and wide for a comprehensive packing list of what to wear/bring with me and I couldn't find one. This list is a combination of what I've found online + what I've found to be useful in my other travels. I hope someone else finds it useful too! I will be rewriting this list later to see what I wish I had brought with me.

1. Backpack - having the right pack can make or break your trip (and potentially your sanity when you are a hostel dweller). I have an Osprey Farpoint 55L. For me, 55 liters is just enough to hold what I want and not too big as to overpack. I find that no matter how big a piece of luggage is, I always manage to fill it up. Osprey has a lifetime warranty which is great. The bag is perfect because it has a detachable daypack and can be zipped up into a duffel.
2. A pack inside a pack - when I move abroad I always bring a large duffel tucked into my bag so that I can buy items abroad to bring home. This takes up a lot of room on the way there but is always worth it when I want to bring gifts back. Also, my style has always changed abroad so it's nice to have room to bring back new clothes.
3. Camera - GoPro + CLEARED STORAGE ON MY iPHONE. In all caps to emphasize that it's worth it.

4. Documents:

• PASSPORT
  • Insurance card/info
  • International Student ID - my program requires that we bring an ISIC ID with us, the ID is great because it gives you discounts around the world!
  • Emergency contact info (GW gives you a print out slip of paper to bring with you)
  • Copies of passport (2)
  • Copies of insurance policy (2)
  • Copy of contact info for abroad program
  • Copy of flight itinerary

5. I am only packing in my Osprey 55L so with this lack of space in mind - here's what I'll be packing for clothes.

• Bottoms - 2 pairs of Jeans + 4 pairs of leggings + 1 pair of work pants - while there is no requirement for what I need to wear in Jordan, my understanding is that most people wear jeans or leggings on the day to day so that's what I'll be wearing too!
  • Tops - 10 tops total - ranging from informal-formal.
  • Dresses - 1 Jumper, 1 Maxi dress (formal Maxi dress) and 1 informal maxi dress.
  • 3 Cardigans - basic/plain cardigans to wear over any top.
  • 1 Blazer - my lucky blazer of course.
  • 3 scarves - I'm sure if I need more, I can buy them there.
  • Shoes - 1 pair of tennis shoes + 1 pair of loafers + 1 pair of sandals

6. Miscellaneous

• Gifts for Host Family - photo book of DC, some gifts from South Africa, tootsie rolls and reeces (best america snacks!).
  • Journal + Passion Planner + writing implements. Anyone who knows me knows that if I'm going to overpack, it's probably because I am bringing all my pastel highlighters, planner stickers and calligraphy pens. Oops.
  • Laptop + charger
  • Arabic Book.

Wish me luck!