"Study" Abroad

By abbymarco

Like many people, I have found myself more focused on the “abroad” part of “study abroad” and less concerned with the study aspect. Of course, this seems only natural; who wants to spend all day, every day stuck inside doing work when they could be exploring a new place and culture?!

Lucky for me, I’ve found my study abroad program to be extremely understanding of students’ wishes to explore our host country, often times going easy on homework and weekend assignments. I have without a doubt found my abroad curriculum to be much easier than my coursework at GW, and I am perfectly content with that. I am still learning SO much, both in the classroom and out of it, while still having enough time to explore Morocco and beyond.

However, midterms very quickly snuck up on me here, and I found myself in a sudden panic about how to study. In Morocco, professors really push us to avoid taking notes in class, instead challenging us to just listen and just force ourselves to remember. For me, this has been quite a challenge because I have always been a thorough note taker, so when midterms approached, I found myself unsure of how to study. My Moroccan professors also failed to tell us what to expect in terms of content and format of our midterms, and they brushed off any questions we asked about them. In part, this is due to the laid-back and last-second culture in Morocco; it is just the way Moroccans teach.

Now on the other side of midterms and having made it out alive and well, I would recommend to other students to prepare little by little as the semester goes on. Make flashcards or study guides as you go so that you can avoid feeling overwhelmed about academics while abroad. Just like at home, don’t be afraid to ask professors clarifying questions. Use your time wisely, and maybe take the weekend before exams off from traveling. Or, study while on a train or plane!

No matter what we may think, the “study” part of “study abroad” is incredibly important, and as students, it is our responsibility to balance travel and academics. Succeeding academically while abroad is truly all about finding a balance between work and fun, preparing ahead, and ensuring that you have a clear understanding of what is expected of you.