How to Secure a Research Location (aka Maasailand)

By eryon180

For my research, I decided to look at the opinions and KAP (knowledge, attitudes and perceptions of the Maasai towards FGM or female circumcision in the town of Narok. The Maasai are among the highest practitioners of FGM in Kenya and in Narok they have rates of about 70%.

I want to understand why the Maasai practice FGM and what their viewpoint is. Often, anti-FGM practitioners look at the survivors but do not understanding the practicing communities. My hope is that my studying the Maasai, my research can improve anti-FGM advocacy by identifying voids in understanding.

Due to statistics and the controlled environment in the Maasai communities, I decided to pick the Maasai in Narok for my research. Then I looked at places to conduct it, which led me to the Tasaru Rescue Center. The Tasaru Rescue Center is run by Agnes Pareyio who is an older Maasai women who is an internationally-renowned Anti-FGM advocate. This center serves as a temporary home for survivors and escapees of FGM and early/forced marriage. Within the center, they provide funding for the girls to go through school, education and sensitization in the Maasai communities and reconciliations with the families and girls. The location is also controlled and guarded.

Therefore, I decided to reach out to the center and through connections I was able to schedule an appointment with the facility manager to see if they would allow me to stay. So, by myself, I went to Nairobi then took a matatu two hours away to Narok. Then I met with the manager who asked me many questions about my research.

I suggest that students looking to research abroad think of these questions/follow this advice:

1. Learn the local language- I introduced myself completely in Swahili which opened communication and decreased tensions.
  2. Know the background and your complete thesis.
  3. Be open to criticism and concern
  4. How will your research impact your research location/sponsor?
  5. What is the long-term impact and result of your research?
  6. What do you hope to achieve?

These are some reoccurring questions that I came across and that you should think about during the course of your research and when talking to potential organizations to work with.

I am happy to say that I will be at Tasaru for 2-3 weeks in November to do my research!