Growing up in the NYC metro area

By bbarfiel

Growing up in the NYC metro area, I have been exposed to one of the most diverse areas in the world. I once read an article saying how there were over 15 different languages spoken in one given square mile. With that being said, some of my best friends growing up spoke Spanish, French, Italian, and Arabic. I have had the privilege to be taught amongst different cultures. From Pre-K to 3rd grade I was enrolled into a private Christian school that was made up of predominately African-Americans. 4th grade to 8th grade, I attended a predominately white “gifted and talented program”. While we may have had similar interest at that time (sports, music, video games) I was too stunned from the culture shock to engage with other students. After conquering that culture barrier, I attended a predominately Hispanic high school in New Jersey. Lastly, but definitely not least, I am currently enrolled in a predominately white institution, otherwise known as a PWI.
While all of these experiences were challenging and frustrating at some point, I have grown and learned about myself and other cultures. I am no longer reluctant to trying new food, music, languages, or dance. I do get tired of being the minority in school or at work, but I have grown to step up to the challenge. I understand that if I can make the most of my current situation, then I can create a path for someone who has a similar background/identity for an even better experience than mine.

If I had to identify myself, I would describe me as being a driven man of color. Because of the way young black males are depicted in media, we are commonly looked at as guaranteed failures. The only ways that we can be successful is if we write a rhyme, dribble a basketball, or sell illegal drugs (according to our society). These stereotypes are so instilled in our society that many of us young men of color believe these misconceptions. I am here to void these stereotypes and prove to myself and to others that we can be successful in non-traditional areas, such as Business.

As of June 2013, I have been granted the privilege to be apart of a professional development program called Management Leadership 4 Tomorrow. MLT, for short, is the premier career development institution that equips underrepresented groups of color with the key ingredients—skills, coaching and door-opening relationships—that unlock their potential. Although the United States is made up of 30% minorities, only 3% of senior leaders in corporations, non-profits and entrepreneurial ventures are Native American, African American or Hispanic. After participating in this program, I am truly proud of my heritage and background. I am no longer nervous or intimidated about my future career in the corporate world. Instead, I approach opportunities with a perspective of belonging and empowerment.

Ciao!