Redefining Patriotism

By maxikaplan

What has made my second week in London better than my first is a general feeling of comfort that I didn’t have my first few days here.  Although I still manage to lose my way at least once a day, I think I have more or less “settled in”.  With this mindset, I was able to enjoy myself a bit more before class work begins to take on a much bigger chunk of my free time.

Although a lot has gone on throughout the past week, and I could undoubtedly write many pages on my experiences, my favorite was a trip to the Globe Theater for a showing of Macbeth.  It certainly helped my wallet that GW put the trip together and paid for it, but it was nonetheless incredible to see the play and understand that part of London theater that people so obsess over.  The only downside to seeing a play at the Globe in the middle of October is the cold weather, since the theater is in open air.  Wrapped in many layers though, I can hardly complain myself considering the actors on stage (many of which were quite famous) were wearing next to nothing, and acting as well.  As I sat with the other 10 or so GW students who attended, I wondered for how long the Globe theater can stay open throughout the Autumn/Winter season.  Probably the best way for me to find out is to book another show to see, since Macbeth was simply incredible.

In my previous post I mentioned how in London it does not quite feel like home is too far away, and I was reminded of this on Saturday when I went to a USA barbecue organized by the USA society at LSE.  What helped make the event feel even more at home was the sunny weather, which took me by surprise, but the rain is never far away in London, and it poured later that night.  Societies like the USA society are ubiquitous around campus, and come off to me at first as more of an irony than a real society, but each of them organize real events and are serious about their role as an organization on campus.  I remember listening to the president of the club reminding members about an upcoming debate on the US constitution that they would be holding, but this was seen as a chance to practice a real debate, and not a form of mockery.  The LSE consistently impresses me in this way.

With home apparently never too far, I was lucky enough to get dinner tonight with my friend from GW, who also goes to LSE, and his family who are visiting until next week.  Events like this seem to pop up on occasion here, and I make sure to never take them for granted, especially considering that I will probably not be enjoying a cooked fish as good as tonight’s for a while longer.  This is all I have to report for now, and I can only hope that next week will be as exciting as this past one was, as I stare at my coursework waiting to be finished.