Pop Culture Abroad: The Festival do Rio

By mfretes93

One of the main goals of my study abroad experience was cultural immersion--which, to me, doesn't just mean befriending local Brazilians, or becoming familiar with colloquial Portuguese. To me, it means really getting to know the culture of Brazil and Rio de Janeiro.

But what does that entail, really? So far, it's meant trying to understand customs, like greeting by kissing on the cheek, and trying to really get into the Brazilian mindset. So far, it's meant visiting important landmarks, like the Escadaria Selarón, the world-famous colorful steps in Lapa, or Cinelândia, or the Teatro Municipal. And so far, it's meant visiting a few museums to understand the art and the history of the cidade maravilhosa.

Of course, culture encompasses so much more than landmarks, museums, and art. And what I've noticed is that, for study abroad-ers, one of the more under-appreciated forms of culture is pop culture: TV, music, and movies. Maybe it's just because, at home, I'm an entertainment and pop culture buff--not being able to catch the finale of Breaking Bad live almost made me shed a tear, or two, or twelve--but I don't think I've gotten to know Brazilian pop culture as well as I would like, or should.

Luckily for me, a great opportunity is in town for the next couple of weeks. Up until October 10, the Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival, or the Festival do Rio, is happening, which means I'll be able to kill two birds with one glitzy, Hollywood-produced stone.

Not only will I be able to catch the Latin American premieres of a few American-made films that I've been looking forward to, including Alfonso Cuarón's new space thriller starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, Gravity, but I'll also be able to see the world premieres of a number of Brazilian productions, ranging from crime thrillers, to heart-wrenching documentaries, to whimsical animated films. And the best part of all of this, is that a ticket to any of these films during the festival won't be more than R$15--or just under US$7. Compared to the US$15 that I'm used to paying to see movies in New York, it's a steal.

In fact, the Festival do Rio is one of the largest film festivals in Latin America, and this year, it has over 300 films screening. It also has a competitive section, Premiére Brasil, in which a series of Brazilian films compete for various awards, including Best Documentary, Best Short Film, and of course, Best Film. For Brazilian filmmakers, it's an incredible opportunity to get their work noticed, from the tiniest of short films to the grandest of blockbuster thrillers. And for the lucky few films that win an award at the festival, even bigger doors could open, including a chance to become Brazil's entry for Best Foreign Film at next year's Academy Awards. A number of actors, directors, and producers are also in town for the festival too, including Dakota Fanning and Goldie Hawn. In summation, while Festival do Rio means two weeks of seeing great films, it also means something in the film world--which in itself makes it a great opportunity for me while I'm here in Rio de Janeiro.

And of course, I've never been to a film festival before, so for the next few weeks, I'm going to be as giddy as a child visiting Disney World for the first time. At my local University, many of the professors of the Cinema department have managed to snag what seems to be a limitless amount of free tickets to various screenings over the course of the festival, and I've managed to get access to a few of these. It's going to be a great two weeks.

But to wrap things up, my advice for you all is: don't be afraid of pop culture. Considering how influential it is in America, and how obsessed with it every American seems to be, it only makes sense that pop culture can a similar--if much smaller--amount of power abroad. Check out television shows, local music artists, and yes, see if there's a film festival coming to town. After all, how can you know a foreign culture if you don't know what they're watching, what they're listening to, and of course, what they're reference in everyday speech?

For now, though, I'm off to spend the remainder of my money watching an obscene amount of movies. See you all after the festival's over.