SPORTZZZZ

By mtumasz

New Zealand vs. South Africa Rugby Match

Ok guys, here's the scoop. I'm a huge rugby fan (and I also play for GW). Rugby is New Zealand's main sport. Their national team, the All Blacks, are incredible. Last weekend, I went to their match against South Africa. I thought the atmosphere at the game was going to be similar to something like an American football game, but I guessed totally wrong.

First off, the city of Auckland (where the game was held), gave free bus and train transportation to the game stadium, which was on the outskirts of the city. Once you got there, you were surrounded by happy fans, everyone wearing jerseys or hats, or whatever paraphernalia they had. I entered the 48,000 person-capacity stadium and took my seat (second row behind one of the end zones, I might add) and automatically felt energized. There's just something about watching a live game in person that gives me such an adrenaline rush.

Anyways, before the game starts, the national anthems of both countries are performed, but then the All Blacks perform their legendary haka, which is a traditional Maori war-cry that is now mostly known for the pre-game tradition for the Blacks. Once this was completed, the game starts and from the first minute, the game is extremely intense. New Zealand and South Africa are huge rivals, so tensions were high.

Half time comes, and the Blacks are ahead, but not by much. Second half is just as intense and invigorating as the first, and as the final minutes wind down, everyone in the stands is cheering and hollering, because the All Blacks are going to win. Final score: New Zealand 29, South Africa 15.

My friends and I head to the train station to go home, where once again, it's free, thanks to the city of Auckland. We are surrounded by happy fans, even South African ones! No fights broke out, there was no rude language, and everyone was just genuinely happy to be in each other's presence. This was a drastic change from American sporting events...

Overall, the game was incredible, and if anyone is in New Zealand, I highly recommend checking out an All Blacks game. It was definitely one of my favorite experiences so far!

Cheers Mates!