Kia Ora!

Greetings Mates, it's Merideth from Auckland, New Zealand. I can't believe it but I have already been here for a month, Time flies when you're having fun, right? I can't get over the epicness of this country. So much to do, so much to see, so many people to meet! That's what I'll be focusing on for this post, the Kiwis!

A kiwi is a native New Zealander, but also a fruit, and a bird. Today, I will be talking about the human version though.

Since I've been here, I have been overwhelmed with the niceness and friendliness of the kiwis I have come across. For almost every kiwi I've introduced myself to, one of their first questions is, "Why on earth would you decide to come to New Zealand?!" as if they were so surprised anyone would want to come to this tiny little country on the complete opposite side of the world of where I came from.

The natural beauty and scenery that encompasses all of New Zealand is something kiwis occasionally overlook, just because it is so normal for them. Whenever kiwis ask where I've visited in NZ so far, and where I plan on going, I need to be timed, because there are always so many places I list off. They always applaud my ambition and adventurousness for wanting to see and do so much in the short time I am here.

The rumors that kiwis are shy are fairly true, but if you start a conversation, they will gladly chat with you about whatever you want. Also, they can be very helpful if you have any questions, but will not be afraid to laugh at you if you ask something such as, "Where is the restroom?" I asked this the first day I was here, and the New Zealander responded with, "The restroom? Well, when I go in there, I don't normally rest, but if that's what you want to do, it's called the toilet, and it's over there." A little embarrassing, but now I learned my lesson that they call restrooms toilets over here!

I guess this post was pretty much me ranting and raving about how awesome New Zealand is, but also how incredible the locals are. So friendly and generous (very different compared to the residents of Washington, DC...) Hopefully you enjoyed it!

Cheers!