5 (Fun) Ways to Feed Your Body in Cape Town

By tinavisc

Considering I've amassed a curiously wide range of eatery wisdom in Cape Town since I've arrived, and all human beings, by nature, fancy a bit of food here and there, I can only conclude that the best and safest way to introduce Cape Town to the outsider is via the global arena of delicious chow.

!. Steers is the half-Burger-King, half-Mcdonalds, wholly-fabulous chain of fast food restaurants here in South Africa. I was introduced to this gem my first evening in Cape Town. After 24 hours of airport travel and one terrifyingly awkward night of conversation with strangers in a strange land, that bacon-avo-cheesebuger with Steers' "special seasoning" (MSG) gave me the strength to veto my brain's votes for fear and provided me with some comfort in the face of the unknown.

2.I learned on the first day of classes that, to my personal delight, the University of Cape Town, which henceforth shall be referred to as 'UCT,' sells magical pies of love and chicken and mushrooms in every academic building on campus. For 9 Rand (~90 US cents) students can share in the wonderful tradition of pies as snack food. Between every Development Economics, Contemporary Urban Challenges, and Philosophy of Art and Literature class, I often wander the tens of thousands of steps on campus and notice a strikingly equal number of students eating pies.

3. It took me one month to find good pizza in Cape Town. The city is filled with culinary perfection from Mama Africa home cooking to French-inspired-Asian-fusion, but after 30 days I had lost all hope for Italian. Just last week I decided to buy food at my favorite joint on Kloofnek Rd. (in town), Rafiki's. They presented a much needed Napolitano break from the usual South African pizza. I was so thankful, for that same pizza meshed my American and South African friends together like wine and cheese -fabulously complementary yet wonderful in their own rights.

4. My study abroad program thoughtfully placed us Americans right down the hill from UCT campus. My flat overlooks the majestic Table Mountain, Steers (refer to point # 1), and the best fruit and vegetable stand a broke college student could ask for. A bag of about 10 clementines amounts to R5 (50 US cents). And I've never had a better clementine. All fresh food sold in South Africa is grown in South Africa -more specifically, the mountains surrounding Cape Town. Cape Town as a society is a huge supporter of organic, sustainable, and non-genetically modified foods. The lack of preservatives and processed fillers shocked me when I first arrived. Even the soda is healthier, never having its real sugar replaced by corn syrup.

5. Braai. The South African barbecue. The mother of all meals. No plate goes unfinished. No man leaves unsatisfied. The tradition of the braai in South Africa is one worth spreading. Myriad meats are grilled for hours over an open flame while cookers enjoy each other's company and the likely sunny Sunday afternoon. Cape Town's intercultural nature has left an environment in which the Braai has flourished, from African to Indian influences. Ostrich has won my heart in the realm of braai'd meats.

Sharing in these Cape Town food rituals has been a blessing. My new goal: to explore the ways in which a bigger picture of South African society is reflected by its food.