Packing Up

By jahdaimoriah

I can not believe I am packing. My journey is about to come to an end and I am in such disbelief. I only have two more days in this beautiful city that I can simply call my second home. It is truly a bittersweet moment. On one hand I miss my family and my friends back home and I cant wait to see them but on the hand Firenze has been the place where I have grown as a person and as an artist. It is the first place where I have been comfortable enough to call myself an artist. I no longer just take pictures and I no longer just kinda draw. I am an artist. My creativity has been nurtured since I have been here and I feel like I will be tested when I go back home. Tested on if I can keep the momentum going. 

I have learned so much about myself since I have been out here. I have learned never to be afraid for fear is state of mind. It is an optional emotion that we choose to have and it will limit you. I have learned that although people may call you selfish, it is okay to do things that make you happy and brings you to peace. Sometimes you need to sacrifice for your own happiness. I have learned that there is more to taking a photo than thinking something looks cool.

I am truly going to miss this place, the food, the gelato, the people. Italian people are some of the funniest and laid back people in the world. If they do not want to do something they will not do it and trust me they are very vocal about it. They know when to take breaks and when to take it easy. I think that is something we should all learn.

I am going to miss my host mother Annalisa dearly. She is currently doing everything in her power to get me to stay but I told her she would have a tough fight with my mother who is so excited for me to come home. I know whenever I come back to Firenze I have a home here with her. I think that is what study abroad is all about. Building relationships and adapting to cultures. If I have to strongly suggest something it would be to do a homestay. Supposedly, I was lucky with mine. I have heard some horror stories but hey every experience is an experience.