Pasqua!

Italy is basically the catholic Mecca of the world. As you can imagine, Easter is a really big deal to Italians. Each province has its own form of celebration. Easter in firenze means an influx of tourist, chocolate eggs twice the size of your head, and an explosion. Yes, an explosion, an exploding ox cart to be exact.the Sunday morning of eastern there is a large parade being led to the duomo. Those men in the parade, must wear bright colorful soldier costumes that is supposed to be reminiscent of olden times in Firenze. They march to the center to the Duomo where there is a huge oxen cart covered in explosives, and fireworks. No one pays attention to the actual church service, because they know at eleven it is going down! 

When the clock struck eleven, I do not think I was prepared for what was going to happen. I was expecting simple fireworks but oh no, I'm in florence the only thing simple is the food. The cart erupted in a single batch of fireworks, as then the explosions. It sounded like we were in the middle of a battlefield being attacks by enemy fire. Explosions that sounded like a machine gun firing off rounds. The air was full of debris from the explosions and fireworks. This combination of firework and enemy fire went on for ten whole minutes. Each time I heard a bang I could not help but jump. What I found the most entertaining was the face of the children, I expected them to be horrified but instead they found it the most amusing. Easter is definitely an entertaining time in Italy and I suggest everyone should go at least once.