On academics and professors

By asthaa

La Autonoma CampusMost people will tell you academics tend to be secondary when studying abroad; secondary to traveling, to learning the language by practicing, to meeting people from the region you are staying, and to generally being immersed outside the classroom. This is all definitely true. I’ve learned more about Spanish customs from sitting down for meals with my host family and friends than from classes.

One thing is for sure though - there have hardly been any days in Madrid when I have not wanted to go to class. And even on days when I am tired and would much rather enjoy Retiro, the park next to my home, I always am glad to have attended. I attribute a significant part of this to my professors. I did not know what to expect exactly when it came to classes and professors at La Autonóma, but I am grateful to each of my professors for enhancing my semester here.

In my experience, they have gone above and beyond to teach about us Spanish cinema, art, language, flamenco, and politics. I am learning from people who are not only academics but also practice their fields. They are cultural directors of museums, screenplay writers, researchers, and dancers. They not only offer a wealth of knowledge in the classroom, but also take the time to expose us to the latest in their respective subjects outside the classroom. We attend film exhibitions with them. When I asked my political science professor if he knew about work being done in media and politics in Spain, he immediately sent me an article. My art history professor was kind enough to agree to an interview. And my Spanish professor goes beyond grammar to make sure we understand key colloquial phrases. They did not have to do these things. Like with many classes at GW that take advantage of being in D.C., my professors have proven that learning and academics is beyond the blackboard.

Of course not all days are perfect when it comes to academic culture. We as students have to get accustomed to a slower pace and to being a part of a university on a slightly different academic schedule than GW’s program. We are not completely integrated with the Spanish university. However, because our classes are comprised of only GW Madrid students, we get individualized attention. Over this semester, I am surprised how profound an affect my professors have had on me, and how much I will miss them as gurus and friends when it is time to return.