Cheap Eats Because I Am Poor

By rlubitz

Being that everything in London is roughly five more dollars than it is in America, I’ve resorted to eating non-meals. Meals don’t really happen very much unless you count pub food. Which, while we’re talking about pub food, steak and ale pies are like sent from heaven I don’t think you really even understand.

You see a lot of people walking around with a croissant or a sandwich or a burger. There are fast food restaurants around but basically just McDonalds, Burger King and KFC exist which usually elicits photographs from tourists. How many pictures have been caught in the background of with a bag of McDonalds in my shaky hands?

Seven.

Just kidding, I have no idea. Probably definitely more than that.

But anyways, there’s a way to exist in this city on not very much at all and it’s to eat little stuff. Following this blog post I am going to publish a diet book entitled, “Just Eat Little Stuff” and it will sell millions and I will be able to actually maybe come back to London and big stuff. Follow the knowledge below and maybe you can save money and eventually eat big stuff.

My Top Five Cheap Eats:

Tesco

This is really a grocery store but it’s got a selection of sandwiches and pasta salads and wraps that are meant to be picked up and eaten on the go. They’ve got this 3-pound deal where you can get a “main course” like a sandwich with a drink and a candy bar. A STEAL. Also, BORING.This is my go to if it’s too late and I haven’t eaten anything. But really though if there is a hell, the only thing to eat there is cold pasta. Just cold pasta and no soda or chocolate or joy. Most cafes close at like 6 or 7 here and because I’m an American who likes to eat a little later, these people basically know me and the sad look on my face when I pick up said cold pasta.

Caffé Nero

This is a really cute café chain in London that I starvingly stumbled into a few days ago. I had basically been subsiding off of Tesco cookies for three days and dreaming of pancakes and tacos and things that don’t exist here. My real mission: cheese. And lots of it. What they have is this cheese and cheese and cheese and a little bit of ham sandwich on yummy bread. I sat at this place for like 3 hours feeling full for the first time in ever.

The Liquid Diet

When I first got here and was battling a serious case of the “I’m So Tired I Don’t Care About Dinners” all I ate for a few days was like coffee. And by that I mean lattes that I guess have a lot of calories. This is not a good idea. Don’t do this. It will end with you scouring town for a cheese sandwich.

Croissants on Croissants on Croissants

Everywhere you go and I mean everywhere, there are croissants. Pretty sure McDonalds has them and every grab and go café. They’re delicious and filling and they can have chocolate inside of them. I got an almond one the other day and I’m pretty sure it had almond paste in it and it was divineeeeee. If I wake up late and I need an in-between meal then I always get a croissant. You feel impeccably French even though you are absolutely not.

The pizza place next door

So if I were a rapper from the early nineties and I was struggling in the studio and just not feeling the beats and just not vibing with whatever they vibed with back then, I would rap about this place. It is like 3.50 and supplies you with some seriously quality thin crust pizza. Italian food is GOOD here and it can be CHEAP which is BEAUTIFUL and makes me want to CRY. It’s always packed and even gives you a free croissant in the morning with your coffee, which is basically the best idea ever.