3 Great Eats for Under $5

By quericolavida

Before coming to Buenos Aires, I had been doing the pescatarian thing for about a year. Not to save the world, or the animals, or anything noble else noble, but more-so just to try something new for myself that I ended up really enjoying (and partially because of the because of the mystery meat situation in the US & Monsanto). However, I feel like food is an essential element of any culture; the West Coast of the US, for example, is famous for the In-and-Out burger, whereas Buenos Aires is well known for having incredible meats. So in order to take in my full dosage of culture here I decided to start eating meat again. I also don’t like being picky, especially when traveling and/or living in someone elses home for 4 months. These days, I consider myself a “domestic pescatarian” and have been enjoying steaks and other awesome food down here. Here are some of my favorite cheap and quick places to snack in the city:

Chinatown Roadside Vendors1) Chinatown Roadside Vendors
On my walk to school there are a few little restaurants facing the sidewalk. They've got all sorts of food on sticks (tofu, chicken, pork, beef, egg rolls, etc..) ready to be deep fried and served to you! An incredible snack always under 4 dollars.

Bakery2) The Bakery on the Corner of My Block
I’m not sure if this gem even has a name, but they do have incredible pastries that are always fresh. The three ladies who are constantly there take their dough seriously. They make some beautiful pies and always serve up variations of sugar coated delight from the simple medialunas (croissants), to similar treats coated in sugar, filled with dulce de leche, and always made with love for 2 pesos (about 50 cents) a piece. I high contributor to my eminent cholesterol problems.

Empanadas3) Corner Empanada Shops (everywhere)
To pick one just wouldn't be fair. You can’t walk in this city for more than 2 blocks without passing a place where you can buy an empanada, and I have yet to be let down. Most popular options are jamon y queso, pollo, and carne. My personal favorite, the caprese (tomato, mozzarella, and basil) is somewhat harder to find. The others can be found just about anywhere: bakeries, all pizza restaurant, most other restaurants, most cafes, and even supermarkets. Empanadas usually set you back from 5 to 8 pesos (about $1.50). Fun fact, eating pizza with a fork and knife here is commonplace, but eating an empanada with anything but your hands is sacrilege.

Currently headed to Cordoba for Oktoberfest and a bit of camping. I think I might need to load up on snacks at the bakery beforehand. Until next week!
-Giordano