Volunteering in Jordan!

By ecirrincione

As you may know, I am writing this blog on behalf of the GW Commitment to Community scholarship, and part of this scholarship includes me volunteering abroad. When I was applying for the scholarship, I was thinking about what kind of activities I wanted to be involved with during my time in Jordan. I knew I wanted to somehow teach English, work with the community and deal with women. Alhamdulillah, I have found a volunteering opportunity that deals with all of them.

I will be teaching English at the Mubarrat Um El Hossain center in Amman. The Mubarrat is an orphanage for boys which does a lot of great work for the community. In addition, the Mubarrat has English classes for women in the community, which is the class i will be teaching. The class is twice a week, and it is focused on English conversation. Which means we will be doing a lot of listening, writing and reading exercises to build the ladies English skills! I will be responsible for

I am very excited about this new project. While it will be time consuming, it will be such a worthwhile experience to give back to the community who has welcomed me in.