Biggest shock(s) of Singapore

By shivaniinsingapore

This week I've decided to write about some of the biggest "surprises" I faced so far in Singapore. I haven't had a huge shock yet in Singapore, but have had small surprises that demonstrate things that I would have never expected.

Everyday Scene:

First, I found out that tipping is not expected anywhere; cab drivers nor waiters and waitresses ever expected any additional change for their services. Another interesting surprise was that malls and shopping outlets are open until very late here, usually about 10 PM even on weeknights! (The malls are always bustling with people at every hour). Singapore is also very strict with rule enforcement; especially in the context of the MRT trains. Station managers are constantly patrolling the area to make sure no one is eating or drinking at the station, or doing anything they are not supposed to do. As I mentioned in a previous post, there is absolutely no trash on the street. Everywhere I go, the locations are spotless. I have not seen people spit on the street or throw trash away anywhere but the trashcans. However, in Hawker Centres (local food stalls), it is acceptable to leave your empty dishes and trash on the table for a worker to come pick it up. In order to save a table in Singapore, you may place a packet of tissues on the table. The packet of tissue signifies that the table is reserved for someone while they are getting their food. No food stall, however, provides tissues or napkins. You have to carry your own napkins around at all times. Overall, people in Singapore are very polite and nice! Everyone appears to be willing to help regardless of whether or not they are in a rush.

School Scene:

I feel like my biggest shocks came from the schooling aspect of Singapore. Students here are very friendly, but take their academics VERY seriously. The answers some of the students produce are of such a high caliber that I do not think I would not be able to attain unless I was writing an essay or had ample time to ponder over the question. People speak of competition in the classroom quite frequently, as apparently, a majority of the classes are graded on a curve relative to how other students perform in the class. Also, there have been occasions in some of my classes where I have been told by other students that my answers were rather "Westernized" in nature. For example, in a course entitled "Rice, Spices and Trees: Peasants of Southeast Asia", we discussed how it is important to recognize that some women may prefer "sweat shop" conditions, and that Western influence and perception make labor seem to be cruel and inhumane. The lectures are mostly based on articles from scholarly journals; sometimes I have to read 30-50 pages of readings a week just to keep up. Unlike GW, I actually have to keep up with the assigned readings otherwise I would not be able to participate in discussions and earn participation points. My first exam is this week, and even though we are allowed to bring the assigned readings in, I am quite nervous. It is one essay question based on three reading assignments that are roughly 20 pages each. We have one hour to write a 3-5 page essay, so hopefully this will go well!
-Shivani