Elliott Student Amplifies Community Voices in Local Government

Dasia Bandy speaking at podium with the Department of Defense logo on the front of it.

When senior Dasia Bandy first moved to Washington, D.C. to start her college career at GW, she knew she wanted to get involved in the local community. Having grown up watching her parents dedicate themselves to civic engagement, Dasia felt a calling to public service from a young age.

Eager to get involved in her new community, Dasia became an Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner for the Foggy Bottom area. In this role, Dasia acts as a critical liaison between residents and local government, advising on issues from public safety to transportation. 

“I was inspired by the opportunity to serve my entire community and to leave a sustainable and long-lasting impact,” Dasia said. “I have a passion for policy issues related to safety, homelessness, community engagement, and our military community within Foggy Bottom.”

In her role, Dasia advises local government agencies on issues like zoning, transportation, and public safety that impact her constituents. She provides recommendations to influence policy based on the interests and concerns of community members. 

Dasia also holds public meetings where residents can voice their opinions and learn about new proposals that could affect their neighborhood. By engaging constituents and amplifying their voices, she hopes to foster a spirit of participation in local government.

“My primary responsibility and most crucial role is to represent the interests and concerns of my constituents,” Dasia said. “At its core, I am a liaison for community members and government agencies and oversee the delivery of community needs.”

For Dasia, the most valuable part of this experience has been witnessing firsthand the intricacies of D.C. governance and seeing how interconnected agency operations can be. She says it has given her a greater appreciation for the impact individuals can have on policy outcomes.

Beyond her role as Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner, Dasia has seized other opportunities for leadership and growth during her time at GW. As the student speaker at President Ellen Granberg’s first convocation, Dasia had the opportunity to practice public speaking before a large audience. 

“Serving as the student speaker has significantly impacted my personal and professional development by requiring me to overcome self-doubt and develop self-confidence that has spilled into various aspects of my life,” she said.

From networking events to academic challenges, Dasia’s passion for service continues to grow stronger.

“While being away at college is often students’ first time away from family for an extended period of time, it can be very easy to forget who you are and to lose your passions that lead you to a very different path,” says Dasia. “However, with all the classmates, professors, mentors, and faculty members at GW, I have been continuously reminded of my passion for public service.”