What I Do In My Free Time – Hit Some of The Best Music Venues in D.C.

Attending Grad School is challenging yet rewarding, so it’s important to find an outlet where you can relieve some of the stresses that come with deadlines, as well as making sure you enjoy this new chapter of your life. Before moving to Washington D.C., one of the first things I did was check out the concert schedule for the upcoming months, and from what I found, I knew life in D.C. wasn’t going to be too bad.

Over the past 9 months, I’ve had the pleasure of attending over 10 concerts at a variety of venues. Below is a list of five of my beloved, and the DMV’s finest, concert venues that I would highly recommend booking a show for when your favorite artist comes into town!

1. The Anthem

The Anthem is one of D.C.’s newest concert venues opening in 2017, in the District’s rapidly developing Wharf neighborhood. This venue holds a special place in my heart, not just for the fantastic acts I’ve seen perform here (Disclosure, The War on Drugs, Khruangbin and LANY), but because I met one of my best friends in this very spot! 

1. The 9:30 Club

After holding concerts for over 40 years, the 9:30 Club provides D.C. with a legacy venue that has even hosted a President! Located north of Shaw on V St NW, this intimate venue lets you get up close and personal with your favorite bands and artists. The venue has recently started hosting themed decade evenings ranging from ABBA and the 80s, to TLC in the 90s and finally the good old 00s. The 9:30 Club has a show for everyone and is a must-visit when you move to D.C.

1. Wolf Trap

Although Wolf Trap is not located directly in D.C., the 30-minute Uber to this indoor-outdoor venue is worth the extra effort! Located in Fairfax County, Virginia, this venue sits within its own National Park. Having attended this venue multiple times, walking up to the Douglas Fir and Southern Yellow Pine outdoor amphitheater never fails to take your breath away. One of the great things about Wolf Trap is the open lawn area where you can bring your own food and drink to share with friends, while you enjoy the fantastic entertainment on view.

1. The Fillmore Silver Spring

The Fillmore is another venue located just outside Washington, D.C. in Silver Spring, Maryland. As another infamous concert space in the DMV area, The Fillmore gives you another opportunity to get close to your favorite artists and bands. This venue has been attracting rising stars and dynamic performers for over 50 years. The Fillmore is a standing-only venue which allows you to truly enjoy the artist you came to see, amongst the 2000 other like-minded fans.

1. ECHOSTAGE

Echostage opened its doors in Northeast DC in 2012 and has become a haven for electronic music artists and lovers. The other-worldly LED visual displays are simply phenomenal and have attracted some of the largest names in the EDM world. Echostage also doubles as a nightclub with monthly special events and in 2021 Echostage was voted the World’s Number. 1 Nightclub by DJ Mag so be sure to check this place out while it holds the title.

This list barely scratches the surface of the many concert venues in the DMV area – the Kennedy Center, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Capital One Arena, Flash, Black Cat, and the Lincoln Theater are other noteworthy sites I encourage you to check out! Living in Washington D.C., attending GWU and hitting these fantastic music venues have made the past 9 months some of my happiest. If you have any questions about life as a Graduate Student at GW or just general questions about what to do in the DMV, don’t hesitate to reach out at gradambassador@gwu.edu.

Thanks,

Kate Lancaster

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment