Past, Present, and Future

Past: Around this time last year (December of 2021), I finally decided to apply for a Master’s program. Here are a few tips on how I moved forward during my winter break and prepped for the upcoming grad school application deadlines.

First, explore all the majors and schools at the university. I spent a lot of time looking at what programs GW had to offer. I looked into the different schools, such as the Business, Law, Arts & Sciences, and Media & Public Policy schools. I evaluated all of the majors that interested me. I found the easiest way to get a feel for a program was to look at the course work, specifically the required classes. I also looked into the faculty who taught the classes. 

During winter break, a GW webpage was ALWAYS open in my browser. I was unable to tour the campus, so I watched many Youtube videos that previewed the campus. I saw at the dorms, the classrooms, the students who got in, their daily life, weekend activities, etc. I tried to accurately depict what life would look like once I began attending GW. What I imagined for myself at GW was a far better environment than any other school, thus GW was the only graduate program I applied to in the Spring. 

Present: Last week I finished my first semester of graduate school. As I await my final grades, I will share a few things that I found particularly helpful in aiding my success this semester.

The graduate student lounge in the library is where I spend most of my time studying. The lounge is located on the 5th floor of Gelman Library, and it’s only accessible by graduate students. During finals week, lounges in the library are open 24/7. Some nights I was so deep into my studies that I stayed in the lounge past midnight with many of my peers. 

I highly recommend getting the GWU U-Pass. At the beginning of each semester, all GW students can buy a pass that gives us unlimited rides on the DC Metro. I decided to try it this semester, and I am so thankful I did. It makes the city extremely accessible since the university has a stop, the Foggy Bottom-GWU Metro Station, across the street from campus. 

Grab coffee with your professors to talk more about your studies or stick around after class to have a deeper conversation about your work. Do the reading so that you can add to the conversation. Professors are genuinely thankful for people who speak up, and when I did, it allowed me to establish stronger relationships with my mentors.

Future: Use your free time over the winter break to focus on your application. During the winter holiday things usually slow down, work and school-wise. Take advantage of this, begin writing your application essays, and ask around for your recommendation letters. Depending on which programs you apply to, the earlier you turn in the applications, the better. I remember the immense feeling of relief I felt once I submitted my application to GW. 

Try to take a campus tour. If you are unable to visit campus, take a virtual tour or look at YouTube videos online. Now is an excellent time to start to acquaint yourself with you future school. There was so much information about my school and program online that even though I was unable to have a guided tour before applying, I felt confident and familiar enough with the campus to know this is the only school for me.

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment