PUBH 2117: Service Learning in Public Health

Service Learning in Public Health by Prof. Sara Wilensky is a course where students connect significant community service experience to course work on social systems, health outcomes, and vulnerable populations. Examples of service sites include the Latin American Youth Center, Mary's Center, National Alliance on Mental Illness, Horton’s Kids, and Charlie's Place.

Professor: Sara Wilensky

Spring 2023

Students Reporting: 20
Time Reported: 237

This semester, students collaborated with Charlie's Place, Bread for the City, Christ House, FRESHFARM Foodprints, HIPS, Horton's Kids, Kenilworth Recreation Center, Latin American Youth Center, Little Friends for Peace, Martha's Table, Miriam's Kitchen, One Tent Health, Serve Your City, Reading Partners, and the AnBryce Foundation.

For information about Community Engaged Scholarship at GW: https://go.gwu.edu/cesc

Student Quotes:

"It was good to be able to lend a listening ear to what the people who came by Charlie's had to say about their lives and what they do on the daily."

"It made me realize the importance of engaging in active conversation with our clients and I enjoyed hearing what everyone had to say!"

"I loved seeing the nurses care for the patients and I gained experience in how to be gentle and treat others going through serious medical conditions."

"I learned so much about service this whole semester but the most important thing I took away from this experience was the importance of giving back."