Creating Hope: One Star at a Time

by Negeena Azad, for the Fall 2020 Symposium on Community Engaged Scholarship.    

More than ever, the essential workers of our community and around the world need hope to build resilience. The GW community is able to spread some hope, one star at a time. Symposium Theme: Resilience.

Presentation Link

This project was part of Abbie Weiner’s course, COMM 1041: Interpersonal Communication. Students in this course learn the theories and principles of interpersonal communication while engaging in service-learning with local after-school programs, job training programs, and other service organizations.

Please be sure to cast your vote for the Symposium for Community Engaged Scholarship Audience Choice Award.  You are welcome to post comments and questions below.  

5 thoughts on “Creating Hope: One Star at a Time

1. sarablevins0611

Speaking as an art therapy grad student, I am overjoyed to see someone using art in order to combat compassion fatigue! My internship is at a local hospital and I see stars similar to these coming in from across the country. While I am not a first responder, I know they brighten my day. I am wondering if it is possible to maybe hold a workshop in a hospital so that the staff can make stars for themselves and others? Well, maybe once the pandemic is lessened and the visitation restrictions are lifted? Anyway, great job in exercising your creativity as well as helping others!

Reply
    1. Negeena Azad

Thank you so much! I am so glad to hear that stars have made an impact across the country and I hope mine do the same. I think that would be a great idea and I agree it could be placed when the pandemic is lessened. I mentioned to supervisor from my local hospital about incorporating this activity in the hospital, so I hope this is an ongoing project in the future!

Reply
  2. Professor Ebony Russ

Hi Negeena,
    Essential workers are some of the most courageous people in our society during this pandemic. Noting and doing something about a lack of hope is meaningful & necessary. Thank you for your work!!! Great Job!

Reply