Introducing Professor Caroline Cecot as Visiting Associate Professor on Environmental Law.

The Environmental & Energy Law program is delighted to welcome Caroline Cecot as a Visiting Associate Professor in our program for 2024-2025 academic year! We recently caught up with Professor Cecot to learn more about her background in environmental law and related fields and hear about her plans and goals in this new role.

Professor Cecot, welcome to The George Washington University Law School!

Can you start by sharing with us your academic background?

Thank you! I’m thrilled to join GW Law as a Visiting Associate Professor of Law. I earned an AB degree, magna cum laude, in economics from Harvard College, a JD from Vanderbilt Law School, and a PhD in law and economics from Vanderbilt University.

During my graduate studies, I received the Robert F. Jackson Prize and the Archie B. Martin Memorial Prize for my grades; was elected to Order of the Coif; and served as Senior Articles Editor for the Vanderbilt Law Review and Articles Editor for the Environmental Law and Policy Annual Review.

What has your career path been like prior to joining The George Washington University?

Currently, I am a Professor at the Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University, where I teach administrative law, environmental law, energy law, and torts.

Prior to that, I was a Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Law and Economics at Vanderbilt Law School and clerked for the Honorable Raymond J. Lohier, Jr., of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. I was also a Legal Fellow at the Institute for Policy Integrity at the New York University School of Law, where I authored amicus curiae briefs and submitted comments on environmental and regulatory issues.

I am an affiliated scholar at various institutes, including the Atlantic Council, the C. Boyden Gray Center for the Study of the Administrative State, the Institute for Policy Integrity, and the Technology Policy Institute. I have also served on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Science Advisory Board’s Economic Guidelines Review Panel.

Could you elaborate on your academic contributions and publications?

I have published articles in law reviews and peer-reviewed journals, including the Duke Law JournalAdministrative Law ReviewEnvironmental LawAmerican Law and Economics Review, and Journal of Regulatory Economics.

Additionally, I co-authored the casebook, Environmental Law and Policy, 4th Ed. (Foundation Press, 2019).

What are your goals as a new Professor for the Environmental & Energy Law Program?

I’m looking forward to contributing to GW Law’s vibrant academic community and collaborating with my colleagues. I’m particularly excited about engaging with students and continuing my research in this dynamic field of the law.

What are your hobbies or interests outside the law?

I love playing board games with my kids, coaching for Odyssey of the Mind, and taking Pure Barre classes. I also enjoy taking care of my plants and my cat.

Welcome to the GW Law family, Professor Cecot!