Intern Files: On Thinking Big Picture

As the UHP heads onto Spring Break, undoubtedly many of you will be hustling to send out resumes and cover letters for coveted internships at this or that Agency, NGO, law firm, what have you…  It may be your first, or it may be a summer fellowship that you hope leads into a job after graduation.
In choosing where to apply, ask yourself this question:
What do I want to show for myself after this internship? What do I want to show for myself when I am graduating with a few under my belt?
When I was a freshman, a highly experienced senior gave me the following advice. “Balance your perspective. Be able to show a potential employer that you see all sides of your industry, and can work with anyone.”
For me, the industry is international security policy. So the summer after my sophomore year, I took a think tank internship that, let’s face it, was unfulfilling. I spent most of my days reading BBC News and Huffington Post’s Crime or Wedding stories, chain-drinking coffee. But I tried hard at what I did, and got a good recommendation from it.
Heading into junior fall, I got a gig abroad at a bigger think tank with a more responsibility. And the big names showed well on my resume, leading to the State Department, and eventually, a large consulting firm.
Don’t panic; it will all fall into place. So what will your narrative be?
My narrative is that by working in think tanks, in the government, and then for government consulting and contracting, I got a taste of many possible sides of work. Now, applying for full time jobs as a senior, my door is wide open – I can apply to any type of firm and give them a solid reason why I want to work there, and what learned about other sectors. Because let’s face it: your picture of a perfect career will change between freshman and senior years.  Don’t paint yourself into a corner and realize that one day, you don’t have the experience you wanted.
College is a time to experiment before choosing a full time job. Try many things, be willing to take risks, and finish college with a wide perspective to share.