From Berlin With Love – Study Ablog

Today’s study ablog post is written by Roxanne Goldberg, a junior in the UHP studying abroad in Germany!
As I dangle my feet in the Spree River on a sunny Berlin day, I feel definitively at home. Since coming to Berlin with NYU, I have been supported, challenged, and encouraged in ways I never thought imaginable.
In addition to my classes, in which I meet with some of the most respected art professionals in Europe today to discuss art theory and the current state of the art world (and learn German of course), I have been interning with Thomas Eller Studios on the historical exhibition Die 8 der Wege, which brings contemporary Beijing art to Berlin. Next week the exhibition opens and I am responsible for accompanying artist and curator Colin Chinnery on appointments with nearly a dozen of the most influential curators and art institution directors in Berlin.

Roxanne at the abandoned Iraqi Embassy in Berlin.

Not only have I had the great fortune of interning while abroad, but I have also been provided the opportunity to curate the student exhibition, which takes place at SAVVY Contemporary, a nontraditional art space that has been featured on Blouin Art Info and Artnet. The collaborative environment fostered by the NYU students and staff, along with constantly stimulating dialogue with the faculty and student artists has been infinitely inspiring and has bolstered my confidence to pursue my professional goals. 
These experiences are entirely unique to NYU-Berlin, and have been without doubt the most positive parts of my university experience. The constant, yet critical and thoughtful encouragement from each individual I have encountered while participating in NYU-Berlin has motivated me to graduate a semester early with the intention of moving back to Berlin in the winter.
I could not be more thankful for this experience, and therefore urge students thinking of studying abroad to heavily research study abroad programs and not settle for GW-approved programs when they do not fit one’s desires and goals. In my experience, the struggle was worth the reward of an experience, which has profoundly impacted my courage to pursue my professional dreams and goals.