Welcome UHP Program Officer Mark Nakamoto

A Note from Mark Nakamoto, the Newest UHP Program Officer!

Mark Nakamoto

I am excited to have this opportunity to work with you and the UHP faculty and staff in your time here at GWU. We’ll get my formal reservable appointments online at some point, but feel free to pop in to introduce yourself if you’re by the townhouse or Ames in the meantime.
Some of my PG* highlights include the following: grew up in the 50th state, completed a B.S. in Microbiology, worked in publishing, earned a Master’s in education administration, and served as an academic advisor at NYU in both the College of Arts and Science and the Stern School of Business. I’ve advised students of many different academic interests, but especially business majors, political economy majors, and pre-health and pre-law students.
Here are just a few things we can geek out about when not discussing your classes, four-year plan, four-year plan version X.0, midterms, summer plans, clubs, internship, first-world problems, research project, thesis, and post-grad goals. Or just, like, life.

• Anglophiles! I didn’t “get” Shakespeare until I saw an awesome production at the Cottesloe. Wear your “Free Bates!” or “Colin Firth=Mr. Darcy” shirts to our meetings with pride.
  • Artists, Musicians, Performers! I’m a YoungArts alum (and former RA). Where do you karaoke like you’re trying out for Team Adam? Or what’s your favorite gallery or museum?
  • Foodies! I like to bake and am new to the area, so share your go-to spots/trucks, hidden gems, and places to buy organic fair-trade bittersweet baking chocolate.
  • Sci-fi/fantasy fans! Wax poetic about Rory and Pond (no spoilers!), or feel free to speculate about your probable patronus animal (wand optional). But don’t plan on speaking of the coming of winter (1. It comes every year, and 2. I haven’t read the books yet) or the relative merits of werewolves vs. sparkly vampires as spouses/life partners (discussing a vampire, werewolf, and ghost as housemates is acceptable, though).
  • Sports fan(atic)s! Nadal vs. Federer, college football, college basketball, volleyball, or swimming. Or explain curling to me. Seriously, I have to know.
  • Theater (both kinds) buffs! Tell me about your favorite play/musical, and I’ll relate random stories about actors I’ve seen/run into. Sell me on that great movie you just saw at the E Street Cinema** and why I shouldn’t wait to see it on DVD/streaming video.
  • Travelers! I studied abroad several times and have been to various parts of 5 continents. Show off your best travel tips or must-see sites.
  • Honors students (if I still haven’t hit your niche yet)! I was an Honors College student myself (not here at GW, though).

All the best as you look ahead to finals, holidays, “Catching Fire,” family time, or hobbitses. I look forward to meeting you.
*Pre-GWU
**Mark has no financial interests in Landmark Theatres Corp.

1 thought on “Welcome UHP Program Officer Mark Nakamoto

1. Flynn Ezra Beckman

Good choice UHP!