Back in the States!

By Sophie Titlebaum  

May 28, 2023

My key takeaways from the experience include the kindness of my classmates, the great growth we all experienced, and the uniqueness of Berlin. My classmates were all very inclusive to the entire group, inviting every student to every outing. We all were pushed to grow in so many ways, including academically, professionally, and personally. Our professor, Dr. Messerli, was a huge driver and reason behind all of our individual and group-related growth. Berlin is incredibly unique and open to all types of lifestyles and viewpoints. It is considered an island within Germany, as it is so special and different from the rest of the country. The only thing that I wish I knew ahead of time is how much I would love the country! Had I known, I might have considered coming a few days before the start of the program.

The End of an Unforgettable Program

On our final day, we took a boat ride through Berlin to enjoy a nice peaceful dinner. It was a poetic experience, as on the boat ride, we could see many of the places we had visited and enjoyed together throughout the past 2 weeks.

Source: Eamon (Berlin Tour Guide)

I am incorporating new skills and knowledge acquired during the program in many aspects of my daily life. As we had very high expectations of our work ethic throughout the program, I have continued to keep this level of expectation towards myself. I learned how important it is to be incredibly diligent and a team player and I continue to use and grow upon these skills in my internship. I will never forget these lessons.

Team GCube

On the boat ride, my team, GCube was sure to get a photo with the beautiful view. We were missing one teammate, Araba, who wasn’t able to attend. After a semester full of hard work, this was a great experience to reflect and relax.

This experience changed how I view the world in that I am humbled. In Berlin, it felt as though relationships were the top priority. In the United States, however, sometimes work is seen as the top priority. It was nice to see this different way of life, and it reminded me of what is most important. Berlin has a bit of a “work hard, play hard” mentality, in that they have the German work ethic, yet also value lots of other aspects of life.

The Socialist Fraternal Kiss in Person

On our final day, we had the opportunity to see the Fraternal Kiss at the East Side Gallery of the Berlin Wall. This was an excellent opportunity to see art throughout the city, which emphasized Berlin's history. It was a great way to wrap up the trip, as it tied together many of the stories we had heard.

Since participating in my program, I have been more intentional about my actions. This helps me add more purpose to each choice and allows me to reflect on each of my decisions. I would love to go back to Berlin one day, and I am very thankful for the great experience!