Turning 21 in Korea

By Maya Haziza

It is amazing because I am sitting here writing this blog post after reading remarkable news about the first meeting between the leaders of North and South Korea in over 60 years. The two countries have entered a period of potential peace now and in the future and I am so lucky that I had the change to witness the unveiling of this political climate with my own eyes. For my 21st birthday, eleven of my closest friends travelled together to Seoul, South Korea for 3 days. We landed in Seoul very early in the morning and headed right away to our Airbnb where we all took a nap because beginning our day later. I woke up to friends surrounding me and singing Happy Birthday to me while holding a chocolate cake. The entire apartment was decorated with streamers, glitter, candy, and gifts – what better way to spend your 21st with friends in Korea? We got ready and headed towards Myeondong Street where we stopped at every boutique doing some damage and eating our way through the delicious street food. I tried almost everything I could that was vegetarian: kimchi fried pancake, potato chips on a stick, cotton candy, kimchi hand rolls, strawberry smoothie, and more. It was very difficult navigating our way through Seoul because none of us had any service and were thrown into a metro system ten times bigger than we are used to in Hong Kong. The locals were very nice whenever we had asked for directions but we soon realized how big of a city it actually is and would take us time to get from place to place. For my 21st birthday dinner we ate a Korean BBQ restaurant in Itaewon and it was delicious – even the vegetarian bimbimbap. The next day we headed to Gyeongbokung Palace, where we rented a Hanbok, traditional Korean dresses. We didn’t know this at the time we bought the outfits, but if you dress up while entering the palace – it is free admission and much more respectable than normal clothing. This was probably one of the highlights of my trip to Korea because it was just so fun to do something new and be fully immersed in a new culture. The palace itself was spectacular because you are inside of this ancient structure, while you are simultaneously facing a highly advanced and cosmopolitan city. The juxtaposition of the ancient and the modern is a trend I have noticed while traveling all over Asia and it is something that makes this side of the world so unique. After we finished in the palace we had planned to go visit the Samsung museum or another art museum in town, but didn’t realize we would be walking outside into one of the largest protests I have ever seen. This was during the time that North Korea and the U.S. were going through talks in regards to the North Korean nuclear weapons program. North and South Korea were also beginning the first stages of their peace talks and the South Koreans in Seoul were furious about these negotiations. Thousands of people marched on the streets of Seoul speaking out against North Korean negotiations. It is so interesting how the two countries originate from the same place however North and South are worlds apart in ideology, government, and economy. This was an incredible experience – witnessing the world change in front of my eyes and being there to read the signs and shouts of Koreans. My last day in Seoul was spent at a traditional spa, a famous activity to do while in Korea – as Koreans are known for their phenomenal skin care products and spa treatments. I went here with two of my closest friends and it was the perfect way to end the weekend in a relaxed environment. We got massages, rolled around in Himalayan salt rooms, and went into the pool there. My friends and I really took advantage of every moment in Korea – singing karaoke, wandering Hongdae, visiting Namsan tower and so, so much more. Seoul is a magnificent city and I can’t wait to come back in the future.