The best of Reims

One of the reasons why Reims is a unique city in my eyes is because it lacks the large franchises which typically characterize cities. In Reims one can find a long list of boulangeries (bakeries), patisseries (pastry shops), charcuteries (meat shops), and poissonneries (fish shops) all run by local artisans who are passionate about their business and products. Just from my encounters with local business owners, it seems much of the businesses are family owned and have been passed down for generations. A few of my favorite and most recommended locally owned businesses in the city are Fossier (biscuit making business), and Colpart Bernard (Bakery).

I first learned about biscuit Fossier from my host mother, because it is her family’s company which has been passed down through the generations since 1756. These biscuits are a regional specialty, unique to the city of Reims. The historic tradition of biscuit Fossier was that the biscuits were meant to be had with champagne, for their airy texture was intended to soak up the champagne. The classic Fossier biscuits look like pink dominos lined up in a box coated in white powdered sugar, however today there are numerous different types of biscuits produced and sold by Fossier. There are three factories scattered around the city of Reims where the biscuits are made, and one shop in the center of the city dedicated solely to the sale of the biscuits. Fossier biscuits can also be found in larger food markets like Carrefour and Monoprix.

The second local business is Colpart Bernard, a bakery just across the street from my host family’s house. The boulangerie or bakery is run by the very hospitable couple Mr. and Mrs. Colpart. Although this business lacks the legacy of the other two businesses, Colpart Bernard is still representative of the passion many local artisans in Reims have towards their work. Mr. and Mrs. Colpart are always very welcoming and eager to speak to me in French, because they know that is one of the main reasons why I am studying here. Another reason why Colpart Bernard stands out to me as one of my favorites is because its quick and cheap. Whenever I am running late to class and don’t have enough time to prepare a meal, I typically pick up a pastry or a sandwich from there because I know how efficient they can be. Anther reason why this business is one of my favorites is more on a superficial level. Since the bakery is situated a little outside of the city not a lot of people know about it. Therefore in a way I have a greater sense of belonging towards this one bakery, more so than any of the other bakeries scattered around the city.