Reflecting Back

By rsengupta18

I am officially back in the US, and it’s a weird, familiar feeling. With the rush of moving back, seeing old friends, in and starting my new job, I’ve had little time to reflect. But as I sit down and I think about all I’ve done, all I’ve seen, all the people I’ve met, all I’ve learned—I realize how much my perspective has changed thanks to this experience.

I had no idea what to expect going into Europe with the intention to research environmental policy. To be honest all I knew was that they were “good” at it. After months of immersion and research, I now have a sense of pride for all the work European countries have completed in environmentalism. Now, my career path has definitely shifted.

Before coming to Europe I knew European Environmental Policy as the Copenhagen Accord, the Paris Agreement, and a general way of life that viewed climate change has an important universal issue rather than a politicized one. After months of immersion and research, I now understand the complex image of environmental policy in Europe. Rather than being uniform, it is a complex puzzle as each country has different threats, abilities, and commitments.

Most notably, I realized the role of major cities in driving environmental policy, specifically through the C40 (a collaborative group started by the former Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone). After learning more about the C40’s strong organizational structure, and high success rates, I’ve realized the impact of mega-cities and big businesses. Before coming to Europe I had the idea that all notable policy came out of the embassy’s, but I now aspire to work in city governance or sustainable business consulting—helping small regions take big strides in sustainability.

Coming back to the United States during the Trump administration is an odd experience for me. Part of me is disheartened by the threats to the EPA, Department of Energy, and dares to pull out the Paris Agreement, but at the same time, I have more hope than ever in our ability to develop and implement sustainable methods. I believe that even in a time of federal turmoil, environmental policy can still advance and grow at the local level, and I am so excited to prioritize that in my career.