Capri – a gem off the Italian coast

By bmlee18

Sapphire seas bluer than the sky, amber sunset blanketing the town, emerald trees providing a welcoming shade, and white brick houses reflecting the warm rays of sunshine. This was Capri, a beautiful island situated in Italy's Bay of Naples. As part of my travels to Italy, I decided to visit the small island famed for its lush and rugged landscape, breathtaking coves and grottoes, and boutique shops selling breezy linen shirts and handmade sandals that come attached with a "Made in Italy" tag.

My visit to Capri was particularly special because I was able to fulfill a small childhood dream of mine. As an elementary student, I was assigned to write a research paper and to present on the Blue Grotto (Grotta Azzurra), right off the coast of Capri. I remember collecting facts and pictures of the grotto, with the photos being particularly memorable because of their portrayal of the stunning blue color of the cavern's seawater. I had never fathomed that I would one day be able to take a small wooden rowboat through a narrow and tiny opening of the cave, witness the crystalline sapphire water light up the grotto, and hear the guide singing a few opera tunes and explaining how the grotto had once been the personal playground of Roman emperors.

The experience was much too short - perhaps no more than 10 minutes (probably more like 5 minutes) gawking at one of the most beautiful natural phenomenons to exist. While the cost advantage of the experience was somewhat questionable for the length of time we had spent, I can no doubt say that the Blue Grotto I saw that day was more stunning than the photos that I had used for my presentation 10+ years ago.

In addition to the Blue Grotto, another moment that was particularly exciting and astonishing was riding the chairlift to the summit of Monte Solaro. Because the chairlift had single seats, I found the experience to be a really contemplative and reflective one, during which you could be awed by the amazing view of the Anacapri community and the surrounding seas, with the sun's warm rays on your back and the gentle wind breathing onto your face. This particular commune where I had booked my B&B (Anacapri) was fantastic because of the quiet residential vibe, with just the right amount of cute shops and excellent restaurants nearby.

I loved the B&B that I stayed at - situated high above on a crazy hill that was strenuous to walk up but provided an exceptional view, especially as the sun set and coloured the sky orange and red. No doubt these hills were steep, long, and taxing, but Capri residents seemed to have no trouble walking and driving cars and motorbikes up and down the slopes. This was something that I had noticed - everyone seemed to be phenomenal drivers, able to speed past sharp bends and never hit another car on the extremely narrow road that was really made for one vehicle.

There were so many aspects about Capri that I loved. Capri was truly one of my favorite Italian destinations - rivaling bigger and better known names of Naples, Venice, and Florence. Small, charming, and stunning. What more could I ask?