Ireland!

By emilycreighton

I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Dublin, Ireland the weekend of St. Patrick's Day. Despite the heightened tourism, the city was absolutely incredible. I left a piece of my heart there and plan to return someday.

If you can't tell from my pale skin and rosy cheeks, I come from Irish heritage. I remember shamrock decorations and pictures of roaring hills scattered throughout my grandma's house. I remember a lamb stuffed animal from my childhood singing "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling." Therefore, I was so excited to be able to travel to my homeland.

The weather, however, was not that great. As per usual, the days were cold, rainy, and cloudy. But that didn't stop my adventures. The first day, I set out to visit the Cliffs of Moher. The weather report loomed cloudy but no rain (unlike the rest of my time there). So, I figured it would be the best day to visit the cliffs.

The bus ride took about four hours (the Cliffs of Moher are on the complete other side of Ireland) and what started as a dreary ride turned immaculately sunny destination. The bus driver even said, "Well, folks I was not expecting this sun. Yesterday was so foggy you couldn't see anything."

I immediately smiled and counted my blessings at my luck (of the Irish). All my research prior said the Cliffs weren't worth the time if the forecast was cloudy. But nothing  in my research prepared me for those cliffs. The sheer massive cliffs overlooked water bluer than I could ever imagine and the grass was greener than the pictures.

Most people don't know that the iconic pictures from the Cliffs are actually off the trail and not under protection from the visitor center. When you enter the space there is a tall concrete wall that overlooks the water but to your left there is an off-beaten path that follows right to the edge of the Cliffs. (This is where most tourists venture).

A small monument rests right before the path that reads "In memory of those who have lost their lives at the Cliffs of Moher." I must admit, reading that was rather terrifying- but it didn't stop me from stepping right up to the edge and admiring the view.

This experience was honestly one of my favorite life moments. My dad told me that the Cliffs of Moher was my grandpa's favorite spot in the world. I think it is mine as well.

The next day was St. Patrick's Day, which was filled with lots of green, parades, rain, and exploring. My hostel hosted a St. Patrick's Day party early in the morning and then I headed off to the parade. My friend Emily and I, waited in pouring rain and wind for two hours before the start. But it was so worth it. The floats were incredible and the people were lively.

After the once-in-a-lifetime parade experience we made our way to tour the Guinness Factory, which I highly recommend. It's such an integral part of Ireland and its history, you can't miss it. Did you know Arthur Guinness had 21 children?

At night we explored Dublin and its carnivals.

The following day was jammed-packed with tourist destinations. I saw the Trinity Library, which was stacked high with old books. If you know me, you know I'm a total bookworm and this place was my heaven. I sat in awe at the spirals and the smell and history and stories that filled the room. I could've spent forever in there.

Speaking of books, I visited the childhood house of my absolute favorite author- Oscar Wilde. And it got me thinking- If Greece is the birthplace of modern civilization and democracy, Ireland is the birthplace of literature and poetry. With all its centers dedicated to either Wilde, James Joyce, John Keats. I mean c'mon, there was even a pub named "Poet's Corner."

We visited the Dublin Castle, which funny enough reminded me of the State Department. We toured St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is beautiful and bears the name of the patron saint of Ireland.

Overall my trip to Ireland was breathtaking. I even researched how hard it is to get Irish citizenship, haha. With so much to see, things to do, and people to talk to you can count on my return to this beautiful country.