Visiting Stonehenge

By bmlee18

Stonehenge

This past weekend, I took a short day trip to the city of Salisbury, and from there, visited the world famous prehistoric monument we all know as Stonehenge.

Prior to embarking on this little adventure, many past visitors whom I'd spoken to had expressed mixed feelings about Stonehenge - that their actual visit fell short of their high expectations. Despite these reservations, I have to say that my trip to Salisbury and Stonehenge was very gratifying and would recommend to all as definitely worth taking. Stonehenge has been regarded as an amazing feat for our Neolithic ancestors, and I was undoubtedly fascinated by how they were able to so masterfully transport enormous stones and erect such site of worship and burial.

Aside from Stonehenge, the city of Salisbury has much to offer, from Old Sarum (the earliest settlement of Salisbury) to Salisbury Cathedral (which houses one of four original copies of the Magna Carta and features England's tallest spire). If Stonehenge alone does not excite you, then Old Sarum and Salisbury Cathedral should be convincing enough for you to plan your next trip there!

To guide your next outing away from the hustle and bustle of London, or wherever you call home, I'll be providing a few tips on how to get there and what to do, all within a modest budget (at least according to UK standards). As I did not get to visit places other than Stonehenge due to time constraints, I will be focusing on how to get to Stonehenge and what you should do at this iconic landmark.

Getting to Stonehenge

An hour and a half train ride through scenic English countryside will take you from London Waterloo Station to Salisbury Station. I suggest that you book your tickets online as soon as possible to get the best rates.

Once you arrive at Salisbury and exit the station, you will see "The Stonehenge Tour" bus - a green double decker that will take you to all of the main sites Salisbury has to offer (city centre, Salisbury Cathedral, Old Sarum, Stonehenge). You can check out the rates here. You can buy yourself a ticket from the bus driver with cash, or purchase online ahead of time. From my understanding, you will get the best deal with "The Stonehenge Tour," as the package includes entrance tickets to sites of your choosing and roundtrip transportation. I realised that the price offered by the tour bus (28.00 for Stonehenge + Old Sarum + bus) was several pounds cheaper than buying entrance tickets separately and only paying for transportation with the tour bus (13.90 for Stonehenge + 4.00 for Old Sarum + 15.00 for bus). Note that 13.90 and 4.00 are student rates, so you especially benefit from the tour bus package if you are not eligible to receive student discounts.

Earphones are complimentarily provided during your bus ride so you can listen to the audio guide. The bus driver was also very friendly, and I'm sure he would be happy to answer any and all of your questions.

Once You Are There...

Perhaps the best part about my trip was walking back from the Stone Circle to the visitor's centre. You can take a free shuttle bus from the visitor's centre to the actual site and back - I would recommend that you do this one way to save yourself from excessive walking, but go on foot the other way. The weather was absolutely gorgeous, with the sun's warm rays blanketing me (rare by British standards), and to peacefully stroll down the green fields and occasionally pass by a flock of sheep was a great respite from the hurried pace of city life. Perhaps you will be lucky on your visit, as well.

Don't forget to take plenty of photos of the Stone Circle, check out the museum and Neolithic houses, and grab a bite to eat at the cafe!

And if time allows, do check out Salisbury Cathedral and Old Sarum. I know that on my next visit to the area, I will definitely make sure to visit these two sites!