Asalaamaalekum from Dakar!

By bradynevins96

Asalaamaalekum from Dakar, Senegal!

I'm just finishing up my first week at the CIEE Development Studies program. I was attracted to this study abroad program for several reasons. First, it gives me a really unique opportunity to immerse myself in the culture of a country I might not otherwise get to visit, and since I'm living with a host family, I feel like I get a very authentic immersion experience. I also get to study development in a country that has been the subject of many types of development projects throughout the years, giving me an awesome and rare up-close learning opportunity. (I'm looking forward to the weekly field trips we get to take around the city for class!) Senegal also lets me work on my French-speaking skills (which definitely need work!), and I get to eat delicious baguettes for breakfast every morning!

The classes I'm taking this semester are French, Wolof, Public Health, Intercultural Communications & Leadership, and a Development Practicum. I'll also be participating in a volunteer internship while in Dakar.

My internship is at an organization called ImagiNation Afrika. The organization was founded in 2007 by Karima Grant, an American/Senegalese woman who believes that play is the best way for children to learn. ImagiNation Afrika uses games and other creative methods to teach children skills in math, critical thinking, leadership, communication, and innovation. Since it was founded, the organization has already impacted over 8,000 Senegalese kids.

My first day at ImagiNation Afrika is Tuesday, and I can't wait to learn more about this really cool organization.