Americans Abroad

By bienvenidosasantiago

My introduction as an American prompts a number of responses. The first being, that 'Um yes? So are we in South America.' In the States, I think we live in a vacuum without being aware that even how we identify ourselves could be problematic in another country. It's no question that American influence is pervasive across the globe through the media, the news and pop culture; our reputation usually preceding our arrival for study abroad students. Sometimes for the worst, mostly in cases where there's only one portrayal of an American or few Americans living in said country.

I was told that being abroad I would identify more strongly to this term. I would resonate more with American culture and would become a bit defensive at points when questioned, more specifically questioned about American foreign policy. But I felt no issues nor an overwhelming desire to prove my citizenship. I am lucky that I am the 9th study abroad student that my host family has housed; meaning that, they're well accustomed to specialized dietary habits, American tendencies and have a history with discussing American politics and culture.

In every conversation, we've talked openly about corruption, public education, GMOs and monopolies, all contrasting our own biases with the other's. Always with, if not a appreciation for components of the other country's model, an understanding that it's different. Inevitably, the conversation is concluded with a resigned 'Sure, it's the same in every country'. Which at times can be a bit disillusioning and defeating, especially when talking about social inequality or racism, but it's also relieving to know that we all struggle with the same things. In the States, we're mid a very serious and pertinent discussion on social and judicial inequality for minorities. How are certain ethnicity perceived and how is their culture being taken or modeled? How has the system been set up to the advantage of one people and the disadvantage of another? And then the more difficult question, how can we change it? What do we have to do? For people in position of power, what are you willing to sacrifice for the betterment of another community? In the States, we struggle with the term 'American' internally. Why are some identities hyphenated and others not? What does that mean?

I have no solutions, I have no answers. I really barely have a conclusion to this being that it's such a convoluted and difficult subject. If I've learned anything from my experiences thus far and my conversations with my host family, is that communication is the most important part. I mean no malice by referring to myself as an American and they know that, but they also have a very serious sentiment to explain to me about how that's perceived.