Let’s Talk about Middle Eastern Politics!

By allisonray94

Haha jk, that sounds awful. But I do want to take this opportunity to talk about talking politics, particularly since I am studying in a place where politics is essentially inevitable. Almost everyone in my study abroad program is majoring in Political Science or International Affairs. For those of us majoring in Arabic, our textbook teaches us how to talk about politics before we learn colors or foods. This week, an afternoon study session devolved quickly into a debate on Unites States intervention in the Middle East; it was by far not the first political discussion and will not be the last.

I think it's important to consider what our role is in political conversations as students abroad. For instance, the other night I was at a cafe with three of our Jordanian mentors and another Middlebury student. We got into an amazing conversation about gender and women's rights in both the United States in Jordan. Luckily, all of our opinions skewed in the same direction, but that isn't always the case. My roommate here had a particularly awkward experience with a Jordanian student who did not believe in adoption (my roommate, it so happens, is adopted). In these cases, which occur often, you have to decide how to handle a political framework that you don't fully understand -- and, at least in the Middlebury program, in an unfamiliar language. It's a balancing act. You want to be in control of your identity without trying to force it upon anyone else. You want to learn from the society you're living in, but a small part of you will always want to teach also.

Now we get to a point where you might not agree with me. If you want to make the most out of your experience, ignore the part of you that wants to talk and just listen. You will hear perspectives that you don't understand or agree with, but they're perspectives that you won't hear in the US. Don't argue; learn why and how and be content with disagreeing discreetly. Ask questions. When a taxi driver shares his feelings on the Israeli Palestinian conflict (which they invariably will), don't interrupt him with whatever you learned in your Intro to Middle East Politics class. If your friend is wearing a hijab, don't pigeonhole her as traditional or religious or anything else. Never allow yourself to think that your education or background gives you more expertise than someone living in the society you've been studying. One of the most important things I've learned here is that while abroad you are always sharing in someone else's experience, and as such you owe them.

In Jordan, I've been asked so many times what Americans think about Jordanians, Arabs, Muslims, etc. Everyone from professors to taxi drivers to new friends asks me about my opinions on Middle East politics. Every time it happens, I wonder how often foreigners ask them the same. There are so many issues plaguing Jordan at the moment -- water, refugees, economics, women's rights -- and as long as we call ourselves students we cannot allow ourselves to be ignorant of these issues or the people and opinions involved.

Next week, we have a break and it looks like I'll be heading to Hebron. Yet another chance to avoid politics.