Le Début des Observations Culturelles – The Beginning of Cultural Observations

By lacymyrman

I have officially been out of the United States for one whole month. In fact, I was talking with my host mom’s sister today about how long ago I arrived and all of the progress I have made with French. I remember when I first arrived how difficult it was to say anything and now I’m finding myself making jokes and really engaging in conversation much more.

It’s true that as much as you can learn through classes, there’s nothing more enlightening than experiencing things firsthand and that’s definitely the case with study abroad. I’ve studied French language and culture for such a long time (started in 7th grade) and it is just now that I’m starting to feel like I’m being exposed to French culture in its truest form. It’s a bit nerve-wracking at times. In fact, you have a strange feeling of vulnerability living in a different country and engaging in all things that the locals do. I’ve reflected on my first few days in my home here and how awkward I felt about everything I did and now I find myself talking freely with my host family and seeing their home as my home.

On the topic of living in a different country, I have learned so much during my courses and in my daily life here about the identity altering experience of living abroad. You develop a heightened awareness for your own culture and the pieces of your identity, which are influenced and bound by aspects of your life “back home.” At the same time, you are learning new mannerisms and exploring a new part of your personality that you may have never explored before. It will be interesting, as I said previously, to see how my identity transforms throughout the next eight months abroad.

Daily I have to remind myself that I am actually here studying abroad. Since the beginning of my freshman year at GW, I was planning for study abroad and I am finally here. After all the anticipation and imagined realities, I am now living that reality. It is only as a result of hard work and determination, in addition to the help of others, that I am here now.

My program has pleasantly surprised me. The American University Center of Provence and more specifically my program in Marseille, has exceeded my expectations completely. I love Marseille, my classes, my classmates, my host family, and all of the other elements of my program and truly encourage other students to apply to this program in the future. A few weeks ago I was introduced to my language partner (Pauline) who I spend at least two hours each week speaking in English and French and sharing our own cultural observations and cultural patterns. Today Pauline and I did the Color Run near the Plage du Prado. It was such a unique experience because it is an American run event yet the young French love it, even more so than myself and my other American friend did! Seeing the adoption of American activities in France has been very interesting to contemplate. I think that this experience has already expanded my worldview so immensely that I can’t imagine how different my perspective on life will be when I return to the United States in June.

I know my blog this time around has thus far been pretty lofting and potentially difficult to relate to but I think that attests to the truly life-altering experience that is living in another country. Just from this past month, my eyes are open to so many other possibilities that I had never considered before. I’ve done a number of things for the first time (such as eating a fig, a full tomato or avocado, running a 5k, and I plan to take a cruise for the first time and go to Disney for the first time as well!). But in doing these things for the first time, I am experiencing them through the lens of someone of a different cultural background and so I can already feel my identity changing because of the daily experiences that I have.

One could expand my experiences to reflect those of immigrants who move (whether by choice or not) to another country in which the language is completely different and the culture is just as complex to read. I began my stage de travail bénévole (volunteer internship) this past week at l’Association Femmes d’ici et d’allieurs (Association of Women of Here and Elsewhere – I know, the translation isn’t the best). There I will be assisting with sewing, cooking and teaching French and Arabic to mostly Maghreb women who left their country of origin to live in Marseille. I have thus far only had an orientation but I look forward to seeing how that experience influences my perspective.

Well that is all for now! It’s getting late here in Marseille where the time is 6 hours ahead! Stay tuned for more about my volunteer work, the transformation of my identity, and more observations as I explore other regions of France and delve into the Maghreb un peu plus! Bonne nuit mes lecteurs et lectrices et à la prochaine!