European Dreams

By conniezhanger

Back at home in America, there are always so many things to worry about, from exams, to papers, to outfits for social gatherings. It's so easy to get caught up in the hurry, rush, and struggle of things that it is easy to forget that most of these problems are not as big as they are. Coming to Europe has really opened me eyes to how expansive our world is, was, and will always be. It's made me even more open-minded than I ever was, and even more determined to pursue my dreams (when I find out what they are). More importantly, it's made me realize that I am the only one who controls my destiny.

Nobody else can stop me from achieving my goals and being happy in life, unless I let them. When I return to the United States, I would like to spend some time exploring my reignited passion for ancient history, as well as brushing up on modern day politics so that I have a  better understanding my world. I also want to take advantage of my senior year and take classes that really interest me, so that I can educate myself even more to better make an impact on the world. While I want to make a greater impact, I also learned how to take my life more slowly and savior it as the Europeans do and to enjoy every single day like it was my last. After graduation, I would like to travel for one entire year around the world so that I can broaden my horizons even more. I am determined to never allow the race to nowhere blind me of my dreams, curiosity, adventure, and eternal youth. While I have encountered differences of culture with those surrounding me, love and compassion will always allow me to learn and help others learn.  When I return to DC, I will make sure to use this newfound energy and take full advantage of my time in this wonderful city as a college student. I was just thinking how shameful it is that I have never been to the cherry blossom festival! While it was only 4 months, this has been one of the best experiences of my life, and I will always keep these European dreams close to my heart.