My Top 5 Favorite Foods from Argentina: Choripan to Dulce de Leche and more

By anuhyabobba

I have come to fallen in love with Argentine cuisine during my time abroad, and here are my top five favorite foods:

Choripan: Choripan is essentially a sandwich with chorizo sausage. It is the closest food I have found that matches a GW Deli breakfast sandwich, but I will go as far as to say it is even tastier. They are very cheap, and often sold in food trucks.

Milanesa: Milanesa is a thin slice of meat coated in bread crumbs and fried. It is probably one of the most simple dishes, but restaurants here take on variations of the milanesa that are to die for. My favorite is the chicken milanesa with grilled onions, bacon, and a fried egg on top.

Dulce de leche: When I first arrived into the country, I immediately noticed that dulce de leche replaced peanut butter and nutella here. It is put on everything from your morning toast to fruit to make for a quick dessert. I came in thinking I could not handle the sweet, but I now am addicted.

Empanadas: Empanadas are a stuffed bread, often filled with chicken, beef, and more. The first few weeks of the program, we were all on a search to find the best and cheap empanada place. We have all decided that it is San Juanino in Recoleta. Their empanadas are so delicious and cost around 17 pesos (or around 2 dollars).

Ice cream: Clearly, ice cream is not necessarily traditional to Argentina, but this country is home to the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted. Freddo is my go-to for inexpensive, delicious, by the kilo ice cream. There are many more chains like Freddo around that sell equally amazing ice cream, and I can say with confidence that I will miss Argentine ice cream so much.