What it Means to be an American in Spain

By billienkatz

During both GW pre-departure orientation and my program sponsored orientation, I was told many times that this experience in Spain would most likely be the first time I was a minority. As a white female from a suburban town about a half hour outside of New York City, this was a phenomenon I had rarely, if ever, encountered previously. I didn't pay too much attention to these sentiments, but the notion was definitely kept in the back of my mind.

This coming Friday, February 7th marks the one month milestone of when my study abroad experience began. Throughout this month my opinions, expectations and goals for this semester have been challenged, changed, and attained all at various times, places, and levels. One of the most surprising aspects of Spanish culture that I noticed was the way in which they view Americans.

The Spanish have a semi-opposing view of all of us residing in the United States. On one hand they value and recognize the amazing achievements our country and our country's leaders have made, but on the other hand, they hold several stereotypes that are very difficult to change their mind about. The most striking example of this was a conversation I was having with a Spanish student who was surprised by my response when she asked about why America and Americans are so great. I explained that a majority of our country is great; however, there are certainly aspects that need improving. This shocked her and lead my to realize that people from outside countries view American citizens as American flag toting, beer drinking, "ammmmuuuuuuricccaaaa" yelling, crazed people who fail to see the faults within our own system.

While this is only one example, it lead to me start thinking about how the various people I interact with on a daily basis around Barcelona perceive me because they can tell I'm an American. The answer I've been able to come up with so far, is that they love American students. They love that we have taken the time and effort to step outside of our own country and culture to come explore and experience theirs. They love to torture us while we try to communicate in broken Spanglish, even though they speak perfect English and were raised in Chicago, and they enjoy realizing that not every American is living in a self-obsessed facade of being a citizen of the greatest country of the world.

I love America and I deeply valid being American, which lead me to view this period of reflection as helpful and inspiring as I continue to enjoy and be educated by this study abroad experience.