Africa Time

By tinavisc

I was warmingly warned of this phenomenon called "Africa Time" the second day after I arrived in South Africa. Apparently many foreigners have come from their organized, timely homes only to discover time does not exist in Africa as it does in most other continents of the world. Time, here, is not so much a number to be counted, but a feeling to be sensed. "Now" doesn't necessarily mean immediately.
For example, someone may tell you they'll attend to a task "now now," which could range from 20 minutes to 2 hours. "Just now" ranges from 2 hours to 2 days.

During the time I've spent here, I've come to loving accept "Africa Time." It's one of the many things I've found Africa to do better than at home. Allowing ambiguity in a timetable allows for unforeseen circumstances -opportunities to thoroughly live in the present without worrying about what you must do in the future. It allows you to fully appreciate and think about exactly what you're doing in the moment. I've never felt more at home.