Markets!

Around Brussels there large squares in the center of different parts of town. These squares were formally areas where people of the different districts would do their shopping and get groceries. The different districts in Brussels are fairly spread out so the squares are quite large to support many people.

The trading industry in these squares still continue today. On the weekend and some weekdays, certain markets are open filled with a variety of goods. There are two markets I am personally familiar with only two, though there are many more.

This morning we went to a market at Gare du Midi. It is where the central train station is in an ‘interesting’ part of town. I went with a suitemate who had been before so it was very easy to get around. When we got out of the metro, there were hoards of people out on the streets. I was beautiful outside and already around noon so I guess that should have been expected.
We started walking through the vendors. The first group had a variety of items. They sold L’Oreal and Axe shampoos and conditioners, lotions, soap, and may other hygiene name brand products that are hard to find in the grocery stores. The next group was all food and fresh produce. It looked amazing and made me excited to start cooking again! Everything was dirt cheap, pineapples for 1 euro, and the strawberry cartons where 3 for 3.50. The vendor owners were majority from an Arabic decent and were shouting to try and attract customers. They would also shout in different languages to try and get the most customers.

We rounded the corner and the entire market changed into a clothing extravaganza. There were ghetto chic clothes everywhere for 1-5 euros. Everything from summer dresses to bras to suits. There were clothes for all ages lining the streets. We went in search for orange clothing for Queens day on Tuesday, a Holland holiday celebrating the Queen. (I’ll have more on the event next week). We found highlighter orange leggings and hope they will survive a couple of washes but it’s a great place to find cheap clothing for occasions like this.

I was a little disappointed by the lack of Belgian goods. I was expecting some homemade goods like lace, soaps, and food. But overall it was a really cool experience. I hope to visit different markets from now until I leave, especially because the weather is so nice!