More than Numbers

By Jessica Hoffner

Doctora AnaAs I mentioned in my previous blog, I have begun helping Doctora Ana to write a research paper for the Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics. In this role, I help her to compile research and patient information, in addition to helping her translate the paper in English once it has been completed. As the computer system in the hospital is a bit antiquated, we spend a lot of time going through archives of her patients to put together a comprehensive spreadsheet beginning with surgeries in the 90s up until last year. Although this is laborious task, it is so enjoyable to sit with her in the archives room and share laughs and learn more about her life. She discussed with me the "machismo" that she faced in the hospital and how hard she had to work to gain respect in her field as a woman, in which she is now one of the most well respected in the country. Dra. has a very big personality and oftentimes I have found her to be so confident it's intimidating. It was so nice to see a different side of her as it was just us in the room and she was more relaxed. It's very easy in this role to forget that these case numbers and countless surgeries and consultations are people - and children no less. I am always so impressed by how personal Dra. Ana is and how she remembers every surgery and every child. Even in the operating room after the child has been covered in sterile blankets and all that is visible is a foot or an arm, I have watched Dra. Ana rub the hand or foot of the child. In everything she does, you can see how much she loves her job and the patients she cares for. The countless gifts that her patients bring her during consultations are testament to this. I hope that by helping her publish this research article more people are able to learn about this disease, prevention and treatment, and that we are able to maintain the privacy of her patients while not losing sight that each individual case is a child, not just a number. I also hope that in my future career as a doctor, I am able to achieve this same personal relationship with my patients.