Volunteering in Madrid

By Jessica Hoffner

Last week I finally met Doctora Ana Bueno. I say finally because it felt like I had known her for a very long time. I spent almost 2 months prior to coming abroad speaking with her about this volunteer opportunity. Along with this correspondence came many challenges. The first was that it was difficult to find a doctor who would allow me to work with them. As the Spanish healthcare system is public, opportunities in hospitals for foreigners are slim, especially with my level of education. I started by contacting the GW Madrid Resident Director, Carmela, and with her help she put me in touch with one of her friends who eventually found a doctor that would work with me.

Another challenge was that the hospital required specific paperwork in order for me to work as a hospital volunteer. I needed to submit a lot of documentation to their personnel office such as my passport, verification of my status as a student, and a letter from the Madrid program verifying my participation in the program. A lot of paperwork and emails later to both Dra Ana and the hospital, followed by a one hour commute to the hospital, I was so excited to meet with Dra Ana in person. Up until meeting with her, the process had been stressful and at times I didn't even know if it would work out. So naturally, I was delighted to meet Dra Ana who was more warm and kind than I could have ever hoped for. Dra Ana is a trauma/orthopedic pediatric surgeon. Among other things, she helps children who are born with severe bone deformities live a more normal, healthy life. Her love for her job and the children she helps shines through and is very inspiring to observe. After meeting with her, we decided that on Tuesdays I will be accompanying her in the operating room, providing any assistance I am able to, and on Thursdays I will be accompanying her on her consultations. This is truly a rewarding experience and one that I am grateful to be a part of. Anyone who knows me knows how anxious I had been about this potential opportunity to work in a hospital while in Spain. This experience is very close to my heart as my goal is to eventually volunteer with Doctors without Borders in Spanish-speaking countries after graduating from medical school.

I look forward to an amazing 4 months assisting Dra Ana and more importantly, the children she cares for. Any uncertainty or frustration I experienced prior to arriving at the hospital was all put to rest once I met Dra Ana. I would encourage anyone who studies abroad and wishes to volunteer in some capacity to persevere through the sometimes difficult and frustrating process as in the end it will be worth the effort.