Travel

Friday Jan 11:

Goal: Measure out exactly 99.5 pounds of clothes. My plan to pack for this adventure is to bring two suitcases that are under the 50 pound limit, leaving room for the return trip, and avoiding paying the high fees twice. If are you are close family friend, then you know I have a big problem being successful with staying within these weight restrictions. This is a sketchy maneuver and only tomorrow will we find out if I succeeded.

During the Christmas season, I have acquired an ipad. ( thanks dad ) Therefore, as a new ipad owner, I want to get every app.. no matter how silly / unnecessary it seems. I bought this app called Closet. (i have money left over from buying my mac last year because they give you a hundred dollar itunes credit.. so thank you apple) You take a picture of your clothes and can make outfits, keep track of what you brought etc. I thought it might be useful so updates later on whether I actually use it?

I pack most my clothes, run a couple errands with mom, and get ready for family dinner and good night sleep.

Saturday Jan 12:
Today is the day. That day that my twitter has been counting down to for months has come... Today. It has come today. Nope, still hasn't sunk in. Maybe I'll give it a couple more hours.

I get out of bed.. It's 6:41. ( I always set my alarm for odd times.. Thank you coach B)  I have to run off the family dinner from last night.. We went to Maggino's and did the whole family stye thing.. kind of odd my last American dinner was italian.. But really I got salmon so I don't know if that counts. Regardless, I have to run.

I drag myself to rock hill, run with my dear friend and old coach, and return home avoiding the urge to bring home Krispy kreme. Kara comes over, I finish the last minute packing around 11.. Yes 11. We aren't leaving the house until 12 and I'm done a hour ahead of schedule. Real life, I'm growing up.

We ( mom, dad, nathan) get to the airport and I just know my bags are perfect. I had carefully planned my clothes, only bringing my favorites. We go to weigh the bags. Bag 1: 51 pounds. Whew. Only a pound over. Go team. Bag 2: 63 pounds. WHAT!?!?!?!? Well grand, I'm not as perfect as I think I am.. I'll add reality check to my todo list. We bring my back over to the side and discuss. The fee for a over weight bag is $150 but i'm trying to figure out what I will cut to lose the extra 14 pounds. Dad to the rescue 'let's just bite the bullet. It isn't worth the hassle'. Can I get an amen? Therefore, me and my 114 pounds of luggage are checked and ready to go.

Just as a side note, why do I have to pay extra for an overweight bag but over weight people don't have to pay for there over weight bodies? Clearly discrimination.

Anywhoo. We get done and look at each other and decide it's not quiet time to say goodbye. It is 1:00 by this point and my flight isn't until 2:45. We have time to kill. Dad suggests going to lunch. What a smart guy. We whip out a couple of smart phones and decide waffle house is the obvious choice. What's more American than that? And it'll make Belgium waffles look like the holy grail.

Mom survives.. She hates waffle house.. Something to do with the sanitary of it all.. I'm too young and niece to care. We get back to the air port and it's time. That awful moment I know my parents have been dreading all week and the moment the waterworks start.

Except wait, I'm not crying. I'm one of the biggest cry babies known to man. I cry anytime my emotions change even the slightest bit. Right now, saying goodbye to my parents for five months after spending and entire amazing break with them and nothing. So I say goodbye, promise a couple texts throughout the day and walk inside the airport.

This whole study abroad thing.. Still hasn't sunk in. Great.

I walk to the gate. My flight is from Charlotte to Philly to Brussels.

Before I continue, you need a bit of background information. The group I am going with is through a program called CIEE. There are about 8 GW students and the other 30 students are from across the country. When I first got the list, I didn't recognize the GW kids but I did recognize a small university on the list , Wofford college. I looked the name and it is no other than Tom Rife. He is a friend from mine from the eighth grade. He is year older and lives in my hometown. I'm pretty pumped I know someone.

I meet Tom at the gate; we are on the same flight. The flight to Philly was painless and we only have to wait 45 minutes until we board the flight to brussels. I pop 3 sleeping pills, sit down, and pass out. I believe I got somewhere between 5-6 hours of sleep. Could be worse.

Sunday Jan 13:
We land at 8am Belgium time, 2am east coast time. Meaning, we are starting our day at 2am. Gag. When we start the decent, we fly over the city. The sun hasn't risen and everything about the city scape seems european. We're officially here.

My luggage was not lost. Praise the lord. We board the bus to the hostel, where we will be staying until Wednesday. The orientation is planned out from 12 to around 6. We learn all sorts of things like public transit routes and how the program is going to work over the next couple of weeks.

Here I'm going to to have to stop, I need sleep and I'm scared about the coherence of this writing. I'm sorry if it was difficult to read.. It's due and I need sleep. On that note I will end with : I'm tired and therefore emotional, I wish I was in my bed at home and can't wait to wake up on a happier note. Running in the morning will be interesting. Pictures to come.