Alumni Profile: Wes Bryant, MPS 2022

In the latest in our series of alumni profiles, Wes Bryant, talented graduate of the Master of Professional Studies in Publishing program, 2022, shares his perspectives on publishing and his varied and impressive background. Wes J. Bryant is a retired master sergeant and former special operations joint terminal attack controller in the elite special warfare branch of the U.S. Air Force. He is coauthor of the book Hunting the Caliphate: America’s War on ISIS and the Dawn of the Strike Cell, a first-person account co-written alongside the former ground force commander of Iraq, retired Major General Dana J.H. Pittard. An author, editor, and defense analyst with focus on foreign policy, counterterrorism, and extremism, Wes works as a defense and aerospace professional specializing in advanced communications technologies. He holds a BA in Asian Studies from the University of Maryland, a MPS in Publishing through George Washington University, and is currently pursuing his Master of Business Administration and STEM studies at George Washington University.

What was the most challenging aspect of the MPS in Publishing program? What was the most rewarding?

Wes Bryant

The most challenging aspect for me, initially, was that I was not working at a publishing house but in the technology industry, and had no real-world foundation within which to apply some of the material aside from my work as an independent author/editor. It was easier once I realized that things like acquisitions, marketing and sales, P&L forecasting, etc. share commonalities across industries. I started finding these similarities, and as I simultaneously gained more and more understanding of the publishing industry, things began coming together.

The most rewarding aspect of the program was gaining a high-level understanding of the business of publishing as well as constantly exploring business ventures across the publishing landscape—be they entrepreneurial or with established companies—throughout various coursework. 

The most rewarding aspect of the program was gaining a high-level understanding of the business of publishing as well as constantly exploring business ventures across the publishing landscape—be they entrepreneurial or with established companies

What are some of the reasons you decided to pursue the MPS in Publishing degree, and why did you choose GW specifically?

As an independent author and editor, I wanted to advance my understanding within the publishing arena. I have also had budding aspirations of potential entrepreneurship in the publishing realm. I chose GW because it is a very reputable institution, and I was impressed by the program content.

What are your plans after graduating from the MPS in Publishing program?

As the program has catapulted my understanding of the business of publishing as well as my capability for industry navigation as an author and editor, I hope to continue to build on the skills and knowledge gained to excel in my career pursuits.

What advice would you give to new or prospective students to the MPS in Publishing program?

Establish what you would like to do with the MPS degree—how it will advance your knowledge and abilities and/or growth potential in your current profession. Or, as the case may be, how it could help to land you in the profession or role you want to be. Approach the program with that in mind, and then shape your class choices accordingly.

Who (or what course) has made the biggest impact on you during your time at GW?

John Warren, the program director, without doubt had the biggest impact during my time at GW. He was always there for questions, consult, concerns, or issues—and helps students guide where they would like to go, or figure that out to begin with.

What have you found to be the value of the MPS in Publishing degree, and how are you using what you learned, as a rising professional? 

The MPS in Publishing has given me unique business perspective. Specific to the business of publishing, I would feel empowered stepping into a role in a publishing house or even starting my own publishing operation with the understanding, knowledge, and skill gained from the program. And as an independent author and freelance editor, it has given me a skillset and knowledge base that I will continue to draw on and build upon for years to come. 

The program’s business curriculum crosses boundaries and is applicable to a wide array of industries. Profit and loss analysis, for example, is critical to the core of any business. And the program focuses on business fundamentals such as operations, organizational management, and understanding product life cycle from market research to acquisition to design, development, production, distribution, sales, and marketing.

How are you using what you learned in your publishing courses in your day-to-day work at L3Harris Technologies, and as an author and editor?

My MPS in Publishing has complimented my career in the technology industry, as the program’s business curriculum crosses boundaries and is applicable to a wide array of industries. Profit and loss analysis, for example, is critical to the core of any business. And the program focuses on business fundamentals such as operations, organizational management, and understanding product life cycle from market research to acquisition to design, development, production, distribution, sales, and marketing. Additionally, in my work as an author and editor, the program has given me an incredibly broad array of tools to utilize.  

Find Wes Bryant on his website, and LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.