Incredible India, EducationUSA Tour 2018, Part 2

By: Kate Kumar

“Education is a prominent pillar of the growing U.S.-India partnership and we are committed to helping Indian students in their journey to pursue world-class education in the U.S.,” said Katherine Hadda, U.S. Consul General in Hyderabad. On September 9th, Mrs. Hadda opened the fair to more than 1,200 students and parents, making it the most well-attended EducationUSA fair thus far in Hyderabad!

Students awaiting the commencement of the fair in Hyderabad. Photo credit to USIEF Hyderabad.
U.S. Consul General, Katherine Hadda cutting the ribbon. Photo credit to USIEF Hyderabad.
Photo credit to USIEF Hyderabad.

After the fair, we headed to the bustling Charminar, a 400-year-old monument and mosque that is one of the most recognized structures of India. We enjoyed shopping around the area, with markets full of handicrafts, jewelry, pashmina shawls, and most famously, pearl jewelry.

Night markets surrounding the “Charminar” in Hyderabad. Photo credit to Katie Beczak.

The next morning, we traveled to VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology for a smaller fair setting, allowing for more personalized one-on-one conversations with the students.

Photo credit to USIEF Hyderabad
Enjoying a more intimate fair setting at VNR Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology.

On my last day, I joined my GWU colleague, Mackenzie from the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, on her visit to the prestigious SRM University. During this day’s visit, we met with the Director of International Relations, presented about our programs to a full lecture hall of third-year students, and then provided small group advising sessions to highly interested students. I hope that by maintaining a presence in India, both in person and virtually, we will continue to attract more of these highly talented and enthusiastic students to CCAS. I left the country having met with several hundreds of prospective students and now having several of their emails awaiting my reply, I can’t wait to continue our conversations back in the States!

SRM University visit with my colleague, Mackenzie Albach, the Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions for the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and Dr. Singh, the Director of International Relations at SRM University.

Kate Kumar is an Assistant Director of Graduate Recruitment within the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences.

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment